Can an Average IQ Person Succeed in a Pure Science Career?

In summary, the person is struggling with choosing between engineering and physics. They are more interested in understanding basic phenomena and are considering leaving engineering to pursue physics, but are unsure if their average IQ is enough for a career in pure science. Their parents advise them to stay in engineering for better job prospects and financial stability. The person is seeking advice on whether it is possible for someone with an average IQ to have a successful career in pure science and if they should switch to studying physics instead of engineering. They are from India where there is a distinction between applied science and pure science in the education system.
PriyankaA
I have been in state of confusion in choosing one out of these. Since I am more interested in learning the basic phenomenons and understanding why and how nature works I get distracted from the engineering course in electronics which I am currently into.
Early as high-school students I loved to study subjects like physics. I am in my 3rd semester now and I am thinking of leaving engineering to start all over again as student of physics. The things that keep me from doing so are that I know I am a person with average IQ. Its not that I can't understand difficult subjects, I have been good in my subjects in engineering. But I am no extra-ordinary, and I am not sure where will this decision lead me? Am I good enough for research work? And I don't have any support for this "change of path".
Now I know engineering is learning what can be applied in the real world, but I am more fascinated by understanding how light deviates than by learning how to make a LED work, and I won't get paid for that.
Unfortunately my parents don't support me and they advice me that engineering is better, probably because it comes with better amount of money, and we all value it.

Is it possible for a average IQ person to make a good career in pure science field. Can I leave BE and go for Bsc?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IQ is meaningless in this context.

Not sure what country you're from and how your education system works. Perhaps you could add these details so the advice given can come from and be tailored to your situation. Lower division for engineering and physics is closely related in the US, this may not be true for you.

Should you? No one can answer that for you, you need to do some soul searching.

I am from India and as for the education system, there is a difference in applied science and pure science in our education system. Though these too are closely related or considered the same, taking a different course makes a difference here.

1. What is the difference between engineering and pure science?

Engineering involves the application of scientific principles to design and build structures, machines, and devices that solve real-world problems. Pure science, on the other hand, focuses on studying and understanding natural phenomena through research and experimentation.

2. Which field offers better job opportunities, engineering or pure science?

Both engineering and pure science offer excellent job opportunities. However, the demand for engineers is typically higher due to their specialized skills in designing and building solutions for industries such as construction, transportation, and technology.

3. Can someone with a degree in pure science work as an engineer?

It is possible for someone with a degree in pure science to work as an engineer, but they may need to acquire additional education and training in engineering principles and techniques. Many universities offer bridge programs that allow individuals with a pure science background to transition into engineering.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in engineering or pure science?

Some essential skills for both engineering and pure science include critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Engineers also need strong math and technical skills, while pure scientists require strong research and data analysis skills.

5. Which field is more research-oriented, engineering or pure science?

Pure science is typically more research-oriented since its primary focus is to understand natural phenomena and expand scientific knowledge. However, engineering also involves research in developing and improving technologies and systems to solve real-world problems.