Can Engineering Lead to a PhD?

In summary, the individual has received a conditional offer for a MEng in electrical and mechanical engineering from University of Strathclyde, but is still waiting for answers about mathematics and physics courses. They are interested in pursuing an academic career and potentially obtaining a PhD in a related field, such as mathematics. Others believe it is possible to do an MEng and then pursue a PhD in math, and it may be beneficial to also do a minor in math during the engineering degree.
kbaumen
Some background first. I have received a conditional offer from University of Strathclyde to ' MEng electrical and mechanical engineering' and I am still waiting for answers about 'mathematics' and 'mathematics and physics'.

I think that engineering is very interesting and I've read the course description countless times and find it most interesting, however, my concern is that it is more tended to prepare future engineers for the industry. However, I would like to pursue an academic career, go after a PhD. What do people here think? Is it possible to study engineering and than go after a PhD in for example mathematics? I know that, for instance, Ramamurti Shankar, a physics professor at Yale has got his BTech in Electrical engineering and then his PhD in particle physics.

I know that PhD is still far away, I'm still in high school (final year) and I haven't yet received any answers about math and physics courses at Strathclyde but I can't stop thinking about all this even for a moment, so if anyone has an opinion, please share it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doing an MEng then going for a PhD in math is perfectly fine. I'm sure others can give a deeper perspective, but doing a PhD in a related field is no big deal. You may have to do courses to "catch up" per say. but its possible. It would be even better if you did a minor in maths for your engineering degree.

Thanks for the input.

1. Can I pursue a PhD in engineering after completing my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in engineering after completing your undergraduate degree. Many universities offer graduate programs in engineering that lead to a PhD.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in engineering?

Pursuing a PhD in engineering can open up opportunities for higher paying jobs, leadership positions, and research opportunities. It also allows individuals to contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge in their field of study.

3. How long does it take to earn a PhD in engineering?

The length of time to earn a PhD in engineering can vary depending on the program and the individual's pace of study. Typically, it takes 4-5 years to complete the coursework and research requirements for a PhD in engineering.

4. Can I continue working while pursuing a PhD in engineering?

Many universities offer part-time and online options for PhD programs in engineering, allowing individuals to continue working while pursuing their degree. However, it is important to carefully manage time and prioritize studies to ensure success in the program.

5. What are the requirements to be accepted into a PhD program in engineering?

The requirements for acceptance into a PhD program in engineering may vary depending on the university and program. However, most programs require a strong undergraduate academic record, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a research proposal. Some programs may also require GRE scores and relevant work experience.