1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Outsourcing.

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    I've been researching Outsourcing recently, focused towards Engineering specifically, and so I wanted to ask what you guys thought about it! Any ideas, opinions, or knowledge that you have about outsourcing or engineering companies that have outsourced would be most welcome. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've noticed a sharp rise in companies that provide engineering and design services based overseas. They often have a partner in the US, either official or unofficial, that acts as a 'reception desk' for them. The US company takes the order and sends the work out. I suspect the same thing happens in European countries.

I've also noticed a lot of US companies going overseas and outsourcing all sorts of work such as engineering and IT support. If it can be done cheaper over there, the upper management of US companies often feel they have to send work out to remain competitive. There don't seem to be any laws that restrict it.

Personally, I think we should outsource our CEO's. Bet we could get a whole team of folks from India or China for the price of a single CEO in America.

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    along with about half of the middle managers directly below the CEO

dr

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

We typically outsource engineering work that we either don't have the manpower for or we don't have the tools for (i.e. specialized software for unique problems).

CS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook