1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering -> Physics & Math

1. Feb 24, 2005 #1

JFo

Engineering --> Physics & Math

Hello all,

I applied as a transfer student ( junior level ) to all the UC schools (except Merced :yuck:) as a first choice in Elec Engineering and second in Pure Math. My first choice if accepted is Berkeley.

Lately, however, I've been worried that EE could, over time, become too dry and routine without much creative thought to keep me interested. My ultimate passion is studying theoretical physics & Pure Math. My only hesitations in going this direction have been due to reasons of finance. I'm feeling a little trapped as I sent in the application months ago, and expect decisions in the next couple of months. I am wondering what my options might be.

Is it too late to get into physics or math?

Is it possible to get into a graduate school in physics or math with an undergrad EE degree? Would double majoring help ( ie the second major would be in either math or physics ).

If I do follow through with the EE route, I will most likely spend all free time studying physics and math on my own, (I do so now anyhow). Is it possible to obtain the same working knowledge of a Phd without actually going throught the process, ie: a seriously motivated hobbyist?

Any opinions / comments are deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2005 #2
    EE is good

As far as i know, EE is not completely away from the pure physics and Maths part, there are quite a good number of streams in the EE which take their origins from physics and Maths, u will really enjoy them :smile:

4. Feb 25, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

Undergrad Engineering is harder than just undergrad science. Grad science is harder than grad engineering. Think about it, it slowly sinks in :)

On a second thought - get BSEE from UCBerkley, and then go for Applied Physics PhD - you wont go wrong

5. Feb 25, 2005 #4

JFo

Thank you both electromagnet and cronxeh for replying. I have to admit, an EE degree wouldn't suck! I think I would enjoy it tremendously, but I believe if I had the opportunity, I would choose to work in pure math and theoretical physics.

My plan up to this point was to get my EE degree so I could have the option of either working, or go on to grad school ( or both ). I don't know if this is the best plan though, it seems I might be better off shooting for the moon and just going straight for the math and physics.

6. Feb 26, 2005 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think it's possible to do Pure Mathematics and Physics at the same time. You'll end up dropping one or the other because they are completely different. One is applied and the other isn't.

I originally planned Pure Mathematics and Physics, but now, I can't stand the Physics anymore. It's cool and everything, but I hate applying math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?