Engineering physics or physics

In summary, the speaker is a high school student interested in physics, but their parents won't allow them to study it in university. They suggest studying engineering physics instead, and possibly pursuing a PhD in physics later on. They also mention the possibility of double majoring and working hard to maintain a high GPA in physics courses.
Meron
I am a senior inn high school who's highly interested in physics, but my parents won't allow me to study a hard science subject in uni. The other alternative that I've found which they might be willing to have me study is engineering physics.
Question 1: Is there anyway I can convince them to allow me to study hard science?
Question 2: Can I go for a PhD in physics if I study engineering physics in university?

Physics news on Phys.org
you could try double major. my roommate is studying electric electronical engineering and physics. i think you can get a PhD in some fields of physics with an engineering ba. my parents were the same, i was very hard on them and now i am studying physics. but you don't necessarily need to do that. you can work on physics if you want to. paul dirac studied engineering

Utilite said:
you could try double major. my roommate is studying electric electronical engineering and physics. i think you can get a PhD in some fields of physics with an engineering ba. my parents were the same, i was very hard on them and now i am studying physics. but you don't necessarily need to do that. you can work on physics if you want to. paul dirac studied engineering
Won't double majoring result in a lowering of my GPA?

Meron said:
Won't double majoring result in a lowering of my GPA?
not if you study harder. if you want to get a phd in physics you should focus on your physics courses. your engineering gpa might be lower but you can keep your physics gpa high. you should study really hard

Likes Meron

1. What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is a branch of physics that applies the principles and techniques of physics to solve engineering problems. It combines the fundamental theories of physics with engineering concepts to design, develop, and maintain various technologies.

2. What is the difference between engineering physics and physics?

The main difference between engineering physics and physics is that engineering physics focuses on the practical application of physics in engineering, while physics focuses on the theoretical and fundamental aspects of the subject. Engineering physics also involves more hands-on experimentation and problem-solving, while physics is more theoretical and mathematical in nature.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in engineering physics?

A degree in engineering physics can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as aerospace, renewable energy, nanotechnology, electronics, and many others. Graduates can work as engineers, researchers, consultants, or educators in various industries and sectors.

4. Is engineering physics a difficult major?

Engineering physics can be challenging as it requires a strong foundation in both physics and mathematics. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a rewarding and fulfilling major that can lead to exciting career opportunities.

5. Can someone with a physics background pursue a career in engineering?

Yes, someone with a physics background can pursue a career in engineering by obtaining a graduate degree in engineering or by gaining practical experience through internships or on-the-job training. Many companies also offer training programs for individuals with a physics background to transition into engineering roles.