1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering physics or physics

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1
    I am a senior inn high school who's highly interested in physics, but my parents won't allow me to study a hard science subject in uni. The other alternative that I've found which they might be willing to have me study is engineering physics.
    Question 1: Is there anyway I can convince them to allow me to study hard science?
    Question 2: Can I go for a PhD in physics if I study engineering physics in university?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2
    you could try double major. my roommate is studying electric electronical engineering and physics. i think you can get a PhD in some fields of physics with an engineering ba. my parents were the same, i was very hard on them and now i am studying physics. but you don't necessarily need to do that. you can work on physics if you want to. paul dirac studied engineering

4. Oct 1, 2015 #3
    Won't double majoring result in a lowering of my GPA?

5. Oct 1, 2015 #4
    not if you study harder. if you want to get a phd in physics you should focus on your physics courses. your engineering gpa might be lower but you can keep your physics gpa high. you should study really hard

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook