Engineering physics or physics

In summary: That very much depend on which country you live and the specific program. My undergraduate degree is in engineering physics and the fact that I took a few engineering courses has always been a great advantage to me (I am an experimentalist). In Sweden (and some other countries) it is not at all unusual for physicists to have an undergraduate degree in engineering physics; people who study "straight" physics tend to end up as teachers etc and not as researchers or even R&D.In summary, the courses you take and your GPA are the most important factors in determining your job prospects.
Jonheisen
I am uncertain about what course to take, I was thinking about physics or Engineering physics. I wanted to work in an organization like cern, lux, esa, gsi (I know is really difficult), research also interests me a lot.
So, I would like to hear what you guys think about the courses in terms of employability and job prospects. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Job markets are usually local.

Marketability depends not only on the degree, but on the GPA, experience, and reputation of the institution at which it is earned.

I'd recommend visiting some local physics faculty and talking to them about it.

The back door into places like CERN, ESA, etc is engineering. This is because competition on the physics side is fierce, while competition on the engineering side is less because they pay their engineers significantly below market (but the engineers that work there get very interesting work in return).

Also, I would consider straight engineering (e.g. Electrical or Mechanical) over Engineering Physics which doesn't fully commit to physics or engineering.

Likes Student100
analogdesign said:
The back door into places like CERN, ESA, etc is engineering. This is because competition on the physics side is fierce, while competition on the engineering side is less because they pay their engineers significantly below market (but the engineers that work there get very interesting work in return).

Also, I would consider straight engineering (e.g. Electrical or Mechanical) over Engineering Physics which doesn't fully commit to physics or engineering.
Thanks for the advice

analogdesign said:

That very much depend on which country you live and the specific program. My undergraduate degree is in engineering physics and the fact that I took a few engineering courses has always been a great advantage to me (I am an experimentalist). In Sweden (and some other countries) it is not at all unusual for physicists to have an undergraduate degree in engineering physics; people who study "straight" physics tend to end up as teachers etc and not as researchers or even R&D.
I know that the situation is different in the US (assuming that is where the OP is from) but as far as I understand there are quite a few "physics oriented" Engineering physics programs in the US as well.
Hence, my only advice would be to look at a few different programs; which courses you take is more important than the name of the program.

What is the difference between engineering physics and physics?

Engineering physics is a branch of physics that applies the principles of physics to solve real-world engineering problems. It focuses on the practical applications of physics in fields such as materials science, optics, and electromagnetism. Physics, on the other hand, is a broader and more theoretical branch of science that studies the fundamental laws and principles governing the behavior of matter and energy. It includes subfields such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in engineering physics or physics?

Individuals with a degree in engineering physics or physics have a wide range of career options available to them. Some common career paths include engineering, research and development, teaching, and working in industries such as aerospace, defense, or energy. Graduates can also pursue advanced degrees in areas such as engineering, physics, or other related fields.

What skills are required to excel in engineering physics or physics?

Individuals pursuing a degree in engineering physics or physics should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in mathematics and physics. They should also possess good communication and teamwork skills, as many projects in these fields involve collaboration with other scientists and engineers.

What are some current advancements or developments in the field of engineering physics or physics?

There are numerous advancements and developments happening in the field of engineering physics and physics. Some of the current areas of research include renewable energy technologies, quantum computing, nanotechnology, and materials science. Researchers are also exploring the applications of physics in fields such as medicine, space exploration, and environmental sustainability.

How can I prepare for a degree in engineering physics or physics?

To prepare for a degree in engineering physics or physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics from high school. Taking advanced courses in these subjects, as well as computer science and engineering, can also be beneficial. It is also helpful to participate in extracurricular activities such as science clubs or research projects to gain hands-on experience and develop critical thinking skills.