Engineering physics to Physics

In summary: A few physics majors switch to EP later in their careers, but I wouldn't recommend it. In summary, you are an engineering physics student who is unsure about whether or not to switch majors. You should focus on what is best for you and not worry about what others think. You should also learn more about what you don't understand in your current coursework and find a new fascination that will lead to a deeper understanding.
neginm
Hello everyone ;)
I'm sophomore engineering physics student.actually I am kinda unsure. you know I am not that much into engineering jobs but i like to learn abt elctronics and all other stuff. in the meanwhile I am really into theoretical physics and I am planning to continue my Ms or phd in physics. the problem begins here. whether i get my bs in EP and apply for physics Ms(and most probably I am seeking for fund) do i have a low chance of being accepted? do a professor would rather get a physics student instead of me!(EP student)? or no i may be much more lucky?

or beyond all these I am a foreign student plannig to continue my studyings in us or Canada,and i don't have enough perspective of my major in these countries . don't u think just sticking in EP would be better for me?

or you may recommend me change my major immediately into physics and continue till the death :P?
(im in hurry i would be happy if u can help me ;) .tnx

Physics news on Phys.org
My feeling is that you would do well to switch over as you will need some grounding in quantum mechanics and other modern physics courses to be ready for a graduate program. Engineering physics is primarily applications of classical mechanics and so you're possibly missing out om electromagnetic theory, optics, quantum mechanics, and relativity and the math to go with these topic.

Wait for others to add their thoughts to this thread before you decide.

You are probably right.i need all those courses.actually I am planning to have my optional courses through quantum2 and,,, jus to be able keep up with physics. but its not guaranteed. means i may not be able to, due to university rules.
i just don't know will EP feed my needings in more theoretical physics meanwhile giving me more opportunities in my future,, or i ll be regret my life as a simple engineer!

better to add this, that i like to get involved in crazy things that could be done with chips&electrical circuit,

neginm said:
You are probably right.i need all those courses.actually I am planning to have my optional courses through quantum2 and,,, jus to be able keep up with physics. but its not guaranteed. means i may not be able to, due to university rules.
i just don't know will EP feed my needings in more theoretical physics meanwhile giving me more opportunities in my future,, or i ll be regret my life as a simple engineer!

Right now you need to focus on what's best for you and not want to do everything or at least multiple things. This is the downfall of so many people spreading yourself out to thinly that you can't complete your degree with good grades which then torpedo your chances of getting into grad school.

The wanderlust of other areas of study outside your degree usually means you are bored ith what you are studying and want the excitement of something new. Instead look more carefully into what you don't understand in your current coursework and you'll find a vast universe of fascination that will lead to a deeper depth of understanding and once mastered you can go onto other topics of interest. Just hang in there and learn what you're being taught first.

tnx for your deep words friend. u are defintly right.you know,when I am standing at the beginning of 2roads and i really don't know which one to choose,i believe that i can go through both of them in the same time(maybe one with one feet another with another feet!:D or what! but the truth is that its not possible and even not good idea. really i think i need to overcome this feelings.. in everything there is a way to more perfection
BUT :( i don't know which perfection!im really seeking.i guess that's sth i have to deal with .

neginm said:
tnx for your deep words friend. u are defintly right.you know,when I am standing at the beginning of 2roads and i really don't know which one to choose,i believe that i can go through both of them in the same time(maybe one with one feet another with another feet!:D or what! but the truth is that its not possible and even not good idea. really i think i need to overcome this feelings.. in everything there is a way to more perfection
BUT :( i don't know which perfection!im really seeking.i guess that's sth i have to deal with .

Your post is all all but unreadable. Please re-read the guidelines. We don't allow text speak here; we require you to use proper, standard English.

At my school, there's no big difference in physics aptitude 'tween EP and physics majors. A lot of ep majors do research and go on to grad school for physics.

jedishrfu said:
My feeling is that you would do well to switch over as you will need some grounding in quantum mechanics and other modern physics courses to be ready for a graduate program. Engineering physics is primarily applications of classical mechanics and so you're possibly missing out om electromagnetic theory, optics, quantum mechanics, and relativity and the math to go with these topic.

Wait for others to add their thoughts to this thread before you decide.

With all due respect you are very incorrect when it comes to EP curriculum in the US. Were you describing EP in another country besides the US?

TomServo said:
With all due respect you are very incorrect when it comes to EP curriculum in the US. Were you describing EP in another country besides the US?

That may be, perhaps you could suggest to the OP or explain from your experience what courses the OP might miss if he transferred to Physics at a later time. I do know that by the junior year courses are tightly tied to the major and it is there where you really begin to learn the core of your major.

jedishrfu said:
That may be, perhaps you could suggest to the OP or explain from your experience what courses the OP might miss if he transferred to Physics at a later time. I do know that by the junior year courses are tightly tied to the major and it is there where you really begin to learn the core of your major.
Possibly they would miss some GE classes? A lot of EP BS are core physics + a minor in an engineering trade. EP at UCSD is basically physics with less wiggle room for upper division electives since you pick a minor in some engineering field and have to do those design classes. Its pretty much a pipeline to get a Applied physics Doctorate, or so I keep hearing from students.

How much of that is bull, I don't know, but I do know I've seen them in E&M2. They also keep telling me to go AP haha, but that's a discussion for another time.

So will it hurt over a physics degree? I don't know, I'd have to see the course list since I assume there is some variance between schools. You should be able to apply straight away to a physics phD depending, speak to someone at your school-like your professors.

Edit:

So I got curious and actually googled it, here is UCSD's EP program,

Thir major provides a strong background in physics and mathematics, and it is intended for students interested in applying theory to applied problems in acoustics, optics, continuum mechanics, and materials science. This program is administered in cooperation with the Department of Physics. The structure of the program is very similar to that of electrical engineering except the depth requirement includes seven courses and there are only five electives.
Please note that all admitted students are placed in the pre-major and must complete screening requirements for admission to the major.
EP MAJOR REQUIREMENTS
Lower Division (70 units): Math 20A-B-C-D-E-F, Physics 2A-B-C-D-2DL, Chem 6A, ECE 15, 25, 30, 35, 45, 65
Breadth Courses (28 units): ECE 100, 101, 102, 103, 107, 108, 109
Design Course (4 units): ECE 111 or 118 or 155B or 155C or ECE 191 or ECE 190, or 193H (Honors Students Only)
Depth Courses (28 units): Phys. 110A, 130A-B, 140A, Math 110A, ECE 123 and 166; or ECE 135A and 135B; or ECE 182 and (181 or 183)
Elective Courses (16 units): 1 Technical (engineering, physics or math) Elective and 3 Professional Electives

So ignore my anecdotal ramblings above, that wasn't quite the whole truth.

OP, is this remotely like your program? Seems EE is pretty heavy for the program here, which makes sense. Also the physics are upper division experimental Mechanics, Quantum, and statistical physics. I'm not sure how they got into E&M2, they must have finagled something, or some how took upper e&m1 with an elective to spare. Really, the only thing my physics BS differs is more freedoms in physics selection, extra classes and opportunities to take grad level classes. I don't see how a EP wouldn't make a great experimentalist. Since the OP is talking about theoretical, I'd advise switching majors if your courses are thusly focused.

Last edited:
At my school EP is the most of the core physics curriculum plus a minor in engineering. What kind of engineering? Your choice, they all supplement physics well (and in the case of aero/mech, expand on physics by including lots more fluid mechanics).

EP requires (besides the usual intro stuff) two semesters of upper division classical mechanics, one semester each of upper division quantum and e&m, two laboratory physics classes, and then you have some wiggle room on your remaining physics requirements. Stat mech is the only "core" upper division physics class that is not a requirement for EP, but anybody going to grad school for physics takes it. You can take honors equivalents if you want, better prep for grad school.

At my school and other good EP schools in the US and Canada, both EP and physics prepare you for graduate school in physics adequately. Me and other EP majors at my school do physics research, win scholarships (including the Goldwater, Churchill, and Rhodes), and do competitive REUs abroad, and go to top grad schools for physics. EP in no way is a setback for a would-be physicist. In fact I believe that every physicist from my school who either got the Churchill, Goldwater, or won the Nobel in physics, were EP majors and not physics majors. EP shows that not only can you handle the physics courseload, but you can handle engineering as well. This is especially good if you want to be an experimentalist, I suppose.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between engineering physics and physics?

Engineering physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the application of physics principles to the development of new technologies and engineering systems. On the other hand, physics is a broad field of science that studies the fundamental laws and principles governing the natural world. While both fields overlap in some areas, engineering physics has a more practical and applied approach, while physics tends to have a more theoretical and fundamental focus.

2. What are some examples of applications of engineering physics?

Engineering physics has a wide range of applications, including the development of new materials, electronics, and energy systems. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as aerospace engineering, renewable energy, and nanotechnology. Some specific examples of engineering physics applications include the design of solar panels, the development of computer chips, and the creation of new medical imaging techniques.

3. What skills are required to study engineering physics?

Studying engineering physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. Students must have a solid understanding of calculus, differential equations, and mechanics. In addition, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are essential for success in this field. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important, as engineering physics often involves collaborative projects.

4. Can someone with a degree in engineering physics work in a traditional physics role?

While engineering physics and physics may have different focuses, many of the skills and knowledge acquired in an engineering physics program are applicable to traditional physics roles. Graduates with a degree in engineering physics can pursue careers in areas such as research, academia, and industry. However, they may need to supplement their education with additional coursework or training to meet specific job requirements.

5. What are the future prospects for careers in engineering physics?

The demand for professionals with a background in engineering physics is expected to grow in the coming years, as technology continues to advance and new industries emerge. Graduates with a degree in engineering physics can find job opportunities in a variety of fields, including renewable energy, aerospace, and biotechnology. Additionally, with the increasing focus on sustainability and innovation, the skills and knowledge gained from studying engineering physics will continue to be highly valuable in the job market.