1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Physics vs. Physics

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    I am planning on attending university next year (in canada), and am definetly inclined to physics. I am aware of the marketability of having an engineering degree, so i was thinking of eng phys. so i have a few questions:

1. should I be thinking about my interests or how i am going to make a living? i am interested in modern theoretical/particle/experimental physics but feel like i will be missing out on learning some of the things i am most interested in when taking my BEng. am i settling?

2. I have never been great with CAD, and i took woodworking a couple of times but didnt think it was anything crazy. from this i can deduce that traditional engineering would not be for me, but how much does design apply to something tied closely to physics like eng phys?

3. If i do decide to study physics, would it be in my best interest to double major in math and physics if i wanted to keep my options open in the multifaceted field of physics? i am most interested in particle/nuclear physics

thanks for the time!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2
    Not saying that you should choose engineering; however, i would suggest reading up a bit more on what engineers actually do. Once you have a clear idea of what an engineer does ( and there are myriad possiblities) you can make a more informed decision.

As for a dual math/physics major, I would say it depends on your particular goals. Some people do these in 4 years some in 5 so you are going to have to weigh your options. A dual major would obviously be beneficial; however it may prolong school and depending on what you are doing after undergrad it may be irrelavant.

hope this helps, I'm only a student as well so i may not be the most knowledgable on the subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?