Engineering Physics: Research & Job Outlook in Industry

In summary, the speaker is an undeclared Sophomore at a university and has been following the curriculum for engineering physics majors. They will soon be focusing on a particular concentration and are interested in working with solid state applications or research. They are wondering about job opportunities in industry for this field and are considering engineering as it has better career outlooks and higher paying jobs compared to physics.
Feldoh
Hello,

Currently I'm an undeclared Sophomore at a university. I've taken classes following the curriculum for engineering physics majors at my school, which can be seen here: http://www.phys.cwru.edu/undergrad/programs/bs_engr.php

After this semester I will have taken all of the engineering core and a good portion of the physics core required for the major, so I'll be looking into focusing on a particular concentration from here on.

Currently I'm interested in a lot of different subjects which makes the decision a little hard me to pick so I've been doing some research on potential types of jobs.

At the moment I'm interested in working with solid state applications or perhaps research. My question that I'm wondering is I know there is research being done on such a topic in both the EECS and Physics departments at my school but I'm wondering if there are any opportunities in industry.

To be honest the idea of having to deal with the atmosphere at a research university does not really interest me as far as a career is concerned, which is why I'm inquiring into the possibility of perhaps something like R&D in industry.

What does the job outlook look like for solid state research/application in industry?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will be competing against a relatively huge pool of physics phds for industry jobs in that field. In general, engineers have better career outlooks in industry. Physics phds are better qualified for certain jobs if you are looking for something very specific. If you are okay doing the type of work the EECS department is doing, it's easier to get a job in engineering, and on average engineering jobs are higher paying by a significant margin.

Hello,

I can say that the field of engineering physics is a highly interdisciplinary and dynamic field that offers a wide range of career opportunities in both research and industry. With your current coursework, you are well on your way to developing a strong foundation in both engineering and physics, which are highly sought after skills in many industries.

In terms of job outlook, the demand for engineers and scientists with expertise in solid state research and applications is expected to continue to grow in the coming years. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the field of engineering is projected to grow by 4% from 2018 to 2028, while employment in the field of physics is projected to grow by 9% during the same time period. This growth is driven by the increasing use of technology and the need for innovative solutions in various industries, such as electronics, energy, and healthcare.

In addition, many companies in the private sector are investing heavily in research and development in solid state applications, providing a variety of opportunities for individuals with your skillset. These roles may involve designing and developing new materials, devices, and technologies, as well as conducting research to improve existing products.

Overall, the job outlook for solid state research and application in industry is quite promising, and I encourage you to continue exploring your interests and potential career paths. Your background in engineering physics will make you a valuable asset in a variety of industries, and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

1. What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is a branch of applied science that combines principles of physics and engineering to solve real-world problems and develop new technologies.

2. What types of research are conducted in engineering physics?

Research in engineering physics can range from studying fundamental physical principles to developing new materials and technologies for various industries, such as energy, aerospace, and electronics.

3. What job opportunities are available in the industry for engineering physics graduates?

Graduates with a degree in engineering physics can work in a variety of industries, including research and development, manufacturing, consulting, and academia. They can also pursue careers in fields such as renewable energy, nanotechnology, and medical physics.

4. What skills are important for a career in engineering physics?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of physics and mathematical principles, are essential for a career in engineering physics. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are crucial for collaborating with other engineers and scientists.

5. What is the job outlook for engineering physics in industry?

The job outlook for engineering physics is promising, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019-2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growth is attributed to the increasing demand for advanced technologies and energy solutions in various industries.