Engineering problem (uses stress, strain, Young's Modulus)

In summary, to use a metal bar as a support arm on a crane with a Young's Modulus of 3x106psi and a length of 3ft, the cross sectional area of the rod should be 0.053 sq.in. to have a strain less than 0.001 under a maximum tensile force of 160,000 lbs. In the event of an accident where the crane needs to lift a 600,000 lbs boulder, the maximum weight it can lift is 600,000 lbs, determined by the cross sectional area of 93.75 sq.in. at the Ultimate Tensile Strength of 6400psi.
twostep08

Homework Statement

2. As engineers, we wish to use a metal bar as a support arm on a crane. The bar has a
Young’s Modulus of 3x106psi . Assuming the rod will need to be 3ft long. Answer the
following questions…
a)If the crane is designed so that the
maximum tensile force on the rod is predicted to be
160,000 lbs, what should the cross sectional area of the rod
be to have a strain less than 0.001? _________
b) There was an accident at the worksite and the crane needs to lift a
600,000 lbs boulder to rescue some workers. If the bar has an Ultimate Tensile Strength
of 6400psi and the bar supports all of the weight , how much can the
crane actually lift?

Homework Equations

stress= force/ area (sq.in.)
UTS= weight where a rod breaks/cross sectional area
Strain=extension/original length
YM=stress applied/strain induced

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried everything seemling, but I can't figure out where to plug in everything to get an answer that makes sense. I would really appreciate it if someone can walk me through it (I'm really good at math, but I've never taken physics, and this is my first engineering class, so I am understandably a little lost)

thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
. a) To have a strain below 0.001, the stress on the rod must be less than YMx0.001. So we need to solve for area using this equation:Area= force/ (YM x 0.001)Area= 160000/ (3x106 x 0.001) = 0.053sq.in. b) We can find the maximum weight the crane can lift by finding the cross sectional area of the rod when it reaches its UTS. This is found by solving for area using the following equation: Area= weight/UTS Area= 600000/6400 = 93.75 sq.in. Therefore, the crane can lift a maximum of 600000 lbs.

What is an engineering problem that involves stress, strain, and Young's Modulus?

An example of an engineering problem that uses stress, strain, and Young's Modulus is determining the maximum load that a bridge can bear without collapsing.

What is stress and how is it related to engineering problems?

Stress is the force applied to a material per unit area. In engineering problems, stress is a critical factor in determining the strength and stability of a structure or material.

What is strain and why is it important in engineering?

Strain is the deformation or change in shape of a material in response to stress. It is important in engineering because it helps engineers understand how a material will behave under different levels of stress, and whether it will fail or not.

What is Young's Modulus and how is it used in engineering problems?

Young's Modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness. It is used in engineering problems to determine how much a material will deform under a given amount of stress, and to compare the stiffness of different materials.

How do engineers use stress, strain, and Young's Modulus to solve engineering problems?

Engineers use stress, strain, and Young's Modulus to analyze and design structures and materials that can withstand different levels of stress and strain. They also use these concepts to predict how a material will behave under different conditions and to ensure the safety and reliability of their designs.