Engineering Project Proposal

In summary, the person is looking for a project for an introductory course where they can use differential equations and MATLAB to create a computer model that can also be verified in real life. They are having trouble coming up with ideas that are interesting and have not been done before. They are specifically looking for something dynamic, rather than simple optimization problems. One suggestion is to model a shock absorber with a spring and energy-absorbing liquid in order to find the dampening coefficient that would match experimental data.
engagrelyt
Hello,

I am trying to find a project that I can model using differential equations and matlab, that I may also be able to create in the real world and verify my computer models and predictions. This is more for an introductory course, learning for my first time how to use matlab.

I am having difficulty finding ideas, I want something that is interesting, but hasn't been done a million times.

Some examples: modeling hot air balloon lift, modeling and verifying pneumatic gun trajectory and distance, etc.

Most of the ideas I come up with are simple optimization problems, i.e. plug in a value here, and get a value there. I am looking for something more dynamic.

Thanks you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "Dynamic"

Here's an idea: You can model a simple shock absorber, meaning a shape connected to a spring, with the shape inserted into a liquid. In an "ideal" world, the spring would keep the shape in a sinusoidal motion after a force is applied. Adding the energy-absorbing liquid will instead turn the system into an overdamped oscillator, with x = mx'' + bx' + idon'tremember where b is the dampening coefficient of the liquid - finding b is half the trouble, believe you me, and unless you're specifically studying fluid dynamics, I recommend that you ignore b, and instead use MatLab to find the value of B that will let your equation give the same results as your experimental data.

Dear researcher,

Thank you for reaching out with your project proposal. It sounds like you have a great idea to combine your knowledge of differential equations and matlab with a real-world application. In order to find a project that meets your criteria, I would suggest looking into current engineering challenges or problems that need solutions. This could include topics such as renewable energy, transportation, or healthcare. By identifying a specific problem, you can then use your skills to create a mathematical model and use matlab to simulate and verify your predictions.

One potential project idea could be to model the spread of a contagious disease using differential equations and then use matlab to simulate the spread in a real-world scenario. This would allow you to not only apply your skills in a dynamic and relevant way, but also potentially contribute to the field of public health.

Another idea could be to model and optimize the design of a solar panel system for a specific location, taking into account factors such as sunlight intensity and panel orientation. This would not only require the use of differential equations and matlab, but also involve considerations of real-world variables and constraints.

I encourage you to do some research and brainstorming to find a project that aligns with your interests and meets your criteria. Remember, the goal of an engineering project is to solve a problem or improve a process, so keep that in mind as you explore different ideas. Best of luck with your project!

What is an Engineering Project Proposal?

An Engineering Project Proposal is a document that outlines the details of a proposed project in the field of engineering. It includes information about the project's background, objectives, methodology, timeline, budget, and potential outcomes.

What is the purpose of an Engineering Project Proposal?

The purpose of an Engineering Project Proposal is to persuade stakeholders, such as clients, investors, and management, to support and fund the proposed project. It also serves as a roadmap for the project team to ensure that the project is carried out efficiently and effectively.

What should be included in an Engineering Project Proposal?

An Engineering Project Proposal should include a clear and concise description of the project's scope, objectives, and deliverables. It should also outline the project's budget, timeline, methodology, potential risks, and benefits. Additionally, it should include the qualifications and experience of the project team and any necessary resources.

How do you write an effective Engineering Project Proposal?

To write an effective Engineering Project Proposal, it is important to thoroughly research the project and clearly define its purpose and objectives. The proposal should be well-organized and written in a professional and persuasive tone. It should also include supporting data and evidence to back up the proposed project's feasibility and potential benefits.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing an Engineering Project Proposal?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing an Engineering Project Proposal include not providing enough detail, not addressing potential risks and challenges, and not tailoring the proposal to the specific audience. It is also important to avoid using technical jargon that may not be easily understood by all stakeholders. Additionally, the proposal should be proofread and edited for grammar and spelling errors.