1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering question about angle?

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    Engineering question about angle??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the angle (theta) for connecting member 1 to the plate soo that the resultant force of F1 and F2 is directed horizontally to the right. Also, what is the magnitude of the resultant force?
    i drew a sketch diagram up in paint to help me but it did not. here is what i made.

2. Relevant equations
    i know you will have to use some trig like cos and sin
    also maybe law of cos

3. The attempt at a solution

i did the sketch also i tried braking down the both the F1 and the F2 into x and y components but got stuck on the x and y components for the F1 because i get for
    x= 8 cos (90 - theta)
    any help would be great.
    thanks

Attached Files:

• me.jpg
      me.jpg
      File size:
      9.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Engineering question about angle??

So far, so good. Keep going. (Note that you can also express that x-component using sinθ.)

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3

sin θ = Fr/8 where Fr is the resultant force. but that is 2 unknowns and i dont know what to do from there. i dont have the text book for this class, the book store ran out or i would just look in there for examples.

5. Aug 26, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

One step at a time. You haven't gotten to the resultant force yet. You're still finding the x-component of F1: F1x = 8 sinθ. Now find F1y, F2x, and F2y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook