1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Engineering Research Project

1. Jun 29, 2017 #1
    I have just found out that i have been acceptable into an access to higher equations engineering couple. During the interview a year long Research Project was mentioned. The details i have are that it is a 3000 word essay(excluding references and data) which seems kind of small. You get to choose the topic.I asked for more infor and was told "you'll find out soon".

I chose engineering because it is the closest analogue to a Physics (my dream degree). I have done some Research and know that you can get into a physics degree with this course(i was told i would need a foundational year but the interviewer said she had people start immediatly into mainstream).

Question: Any ideas/ advice for an engineering Research Project that would also help me get into Physics. I was thinking of a physics related topic that lies in the grey are between the two. I was thinking maybe some sort of space propulsion system, which is an are of interest of mine.

Thanks.

Ps: the letter i received said it was an interview. Turned out to be a basic overview of the course and being handed an exam. No preparation on my part, should of see it coming really. Passed though.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Jul 5, 2017 #3
    I would consider the educational level, the available resources, the specialties of the supervising faculty, and the kinds of projects students in the program have done in the past. Students seldom realize when brainstorming project topics that they need to pick a project topic from what is attainable with the time and resource constraints rather than dreaming up any topic on earth without regard for practical issues.

This article may be helpful:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/niches-publishable-undergraduate-research/

I often help students brainstorming these ideas. Send me a PM and we'll begin a private correspondence, because I need to know more details than can likely be shared in the public forum.

5. Jul 6, 2017 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not understanding; are you a college or high school student? If college, what level and what major?

A 3000 word essay is a month-long research project, not a year-long project...unless the essay is just to summarize the actual project (like a design project).

6. Jul 6, 2017 #5
    English college, not US. I need to go college to get the qualifications that I need to get into university. Once i get this,( the equivalent to three A Levels, not sure what its called across the pond), i will then be eligable for Engineering or some Physics degrees.

Perhaps it is.I asked for further details and was told ' you'll find out'. I do know what ever it is I choose the subject.

7. Jul 6, 2017 #6
    I will pm you when I have more details myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted