Engineing Resources: Learn Modern Engineering History

In summary: For someone interested in Mechanical Engineering, they should study thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, materials science, and so forth. The best way to learn about engineering evolution is to do projects. My son is a biomedical engineer, and he does projects all the time to learn about the latest medical technology. In summary, it's not clear which branch of engineering you are interested in. You might want to read some books about general engineering, and then do some projects to really learn about the field.
sulicat
Hi,
I just started college and was pleasantly surprised to see that a lot of my classmates know a lot about different engineering stuff. Some would know all the parts of a car and maybe how the ac worked etc... for me other than programming I was ashamed of how limited my knowledge of these things are.

So I am asking you what you think are good books, websites and maybe even classes you think are a must or just good for someone studying engineering to read ? What is a good way to learn about how modern day engineering evolved into what it is now ?

this may be a bad place to ask this, seeing as the internet is at my fingertips :/ anyways thank for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A) Don't sweat it - most entering freshman are very nervous and will talk / brag about what they know, but in reality they do not know that much.
B) IMO - you can not read about something on your own that you are not interested in and learn much.
C) Doing things teaches you more - if you are good a programming - do a project on your desk ( like an arduino) the hands-on experience will be valuable. -- Even then find some DIY project and do it... I had a digital dice box I had built when I went to college ( granted some time ago) but the EEs wanted to play games with that ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
sulicat said:
websites

The HowStuffWorks website has some useful information. Unfortunately it's been over-run with advertisements the last couple of years, but if you can find your way around them, there is a lot of good information there about lots of things.

Likes billy_joule
Windadct said:
A) Don't sweat it - most entering freshman are very nervous and will talk / brag about what they know, but in reality they do not know that much.
B) IMO - you can not read about something on your own that you are not interested in and learn much.
C) Doing things teaches you more - if you are good a programming - do a project on your desk ( like an arduino) the hands-on experience will be valuable. -- Even then find some DIY project and do it... I had a digital dice box I had built when I went to college ( granted some time ago) but the EEs wanted to play games with that ...

I hope that its just everyone playing way too much of their cards way too early ...
I am very grateful I was reading a book about wings and was bored as hell, but I get your point, I learned nothing from my reading so far. My time could have been better spent doing something that I actually learn from. Thank you

sulicat said:
Hi,
I just started college and was pleasantly surprised to see that a lot of my classmates know a lot about different engineering stuff. Some would know all the parts of a car and maybe how the ac worked etc... for me other than programming I was ashamed of how limited my knowledge of these things are.

So I am asking you what you think are good books, websites and maybe even classes you think are a must or just good for someone studying engineering to read ? What is a good way to learn about how modern day engineering evolved into what it is now ?

this may be a bad place to ask this, seeing as the internet is at my fingertips :/ anyways thank for the help.
It's not clear which branch of engineering you are interested in. "Engineering" is composed of many different sub-disciplines, and each sub-discipline followed its own particular path of development.

For good general reading, I recommend the books of Henry Petroski:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Petroski

SteamKing said:
"Engineering" is composed of many different sub-disciplines, and each sub-discipline followed its own particular path of development.

My son just started at PSU - there are no declared Eng majors until around 40-50 Credits. All of the Students are just in College of Engineering. The they have to meet different GPA requirements for the different disciplines.

1. What is the purpose of learning modern engineering history?

Learning modern engineering history allows us to understand the evolution of engineering principles, techniques, and technologies. It also provides insights into the successes and failures of past engineering projects, allowing us to learn from them and improve our future designs.

2. How can learning modern engineering history benefit my career?

By studying modern engineering history, you can gain a deeper understanding of the foundations of engineering and the context in which current engineering practices have developed. This can help you make more informed decisions and become a more well-rounded engineer, making you a valuable asset to any company or organization.

3. What resources are available for learning modern engineering history?

There are many resources available for learning modern engineering history, such as books, documentaries, online courses, and museums. You can also attend conferences and workshops that focus on engineering history or join professional organizations dedicated to promoting and preserving engineering history.

4. What are some key events or developments in modern engineering history?

Some key events in modern engineering history include the Industrial Revolution, the invention of the steam engine, the development of electricity and telecommunications, the rise of automation and computer technology, and the advancements in transportation and space exploration.

5. How can understanding modern engineering history contribute to future innovations?

Studying modern engineering history can provide us with valuable insights and lessons learned from past engineering projects. This can help us identify potential challenges and find ways to overcome them, leading to more successful and innovative designs in the future. It also allows us to build upon existing knowledge and technologies, rather than starting from scratch.