Engineering Scholarships for Adult Students Returning to School | Tips & Advice

In summary, the individual has made the decision to return to school part-time to pursue an engineering degree after their wife graduates in 2008. They plan to retake calculus and other prerequisite courses before applying to the University of Minnesota. The only obstacle is financial resources, and they are seeking advice on finding scholarships and grants for adult learners. Possible options include checking with the U of M's financial aid office, searching for external scholarships, and networking within the community.
Jeff Ford
So I've finally got things straightened out enough to go back to school part time. I'm starting by retaking calculus in the spring, moving on through calc 2, multivariable, linear algebra, and 2 semesters of calculus based physics before I apply for admission to the University of Minnesota. I'll be pursuing an engineering B.S. full time after my wife graduates in 2008. I'm not quite sure which specialization yet, but the lower division courses are all the same, so I don't have to decide yet.

The only snag so far is money. I'd like to take the pre-reqs at the U of M, as the courses are more rigorous and I feel like I'd get a better grounding in the basics. The other option is the local community college. The classes transfer fully and are less than half the price.

I've applied for a few scholarships through the U of M and my employer will cover some of the cost, but I'm looking for any other scholarship opportunities for adults returning to school. With just what my employer covers and what I can afford I'm stuck at community college. I'll need at least one good scholarship for at least $800 per year to cover costs at the U of M.

Any advice on finding scholarships or grants would be helpful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Congratulations on your decision to return to school and pursue a degree in engineering! It takes a lot of determination and hard work to balance part-time studies with other responsibilities, so kudos to you for taking on this challenge.

In terms of your question about scholarships and grants, there are a few avenues you can explore. First, I would recommend checking with the financial aid office at the University of Minnesota to see if they have any specific scholarships or grants available for adult learners. They may have resources or programs specifically geared towards supporting non-traditional students like yourself.

Additionally, you can also look into external scholarships and grants. Many organizations, foundations, and companies offer scholarships for students pursuing degrees in STEM fields. I would suggest doing some research online and checking with your employer to see if they have any partnerships or connections with organizations that offer scholarships in your field of study.

Another option is to look into federal and state grants, such as the Federal Pell Grant or state-specific grants for adult learners. These can often be applied for through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.

Lastly, I would recommend reaching out to your community and networking with other adult learners or professionals in the engineering field. They may have valuable insights or know of scholarship opportunities that you may not have come across otherwise.

Remember to also keep an eye out for application deadlines and to thoroughly research the requirements and qualifications for each scholarship or grant you are interested in. Best of luck to you in your academic pursuits!

I understand the importance of continued education and applaud your decision to return to school to pursue an engineering degree. It takes dedication and determination to balance work, family, and education.

I would recommend exploring scholarship opportunities specifically for adult students returning to school. Many organizations, both private and public, offer scholarships for non-traditional students like yourself. You can start by researching scholarships through the University of Minnesota's financial aid office or reaching out to the engineering department for any specific scholarships they may have available. Additionally, you can search online for organizations that offer scholarships for adult students in engineering.

Another option is to check with your employer to see if they have any tuition reimbursement programs or partnerships with universities. This could potentially help cover a portion of your tuition costs.

In terms of tips for applying for scholarships, make sure to thoroughly read the requirements and eligibility criteria for each scholarship and tailor your application accordingly. Highlight your academic achievements, work experience, and any extracurricular activities that demonstrate your dedication and passion for engineering. Additionally, make sure to submit your application on time and follow any specific instructions given by the scholarship provider.

I wish you the best of luck in your academic journey and hope you are able to secure the necessary funding to attend the University of Minnesota. Remember, perseverance and hard work will pay off in the end.

1. What are engineering scholarships for adult students returning to school?

Engineering scholarships for adult students returning to school are financial aid opportunities specifically designed for individuals who have taken a break from their education and are now seeking to pursue a degree in engineering. These scholarships can help cover the cost of tuition, books, and other expenses related to attending school.

2. Who is eligible for engineering scholarships for adult students returning to school?

Eligibility for engineering scholarships for adult students returning to school varies depending on the specific scholarship program. However, in general, these scholarships are open to individuals who are at least 25 years old, have a high school diploma or equivalent, and are enrolled in an engineering degree program at an accredited institution.

3. How can I apply for engineering scholarships for adult students returning to school?

To apply for engineering scholarships for adult students returning to school, you will typically need to fill out an application form, provide transcripts or proof of enrollment, and submit any additional required documents, such as essays or letters of recommendation. You can find information on how to apply for specific scholarships on their respective websites.

4. What types of engineering scholarships are available for adult students?

There are various types of engineering scholarships available for adult students, including merit-based scholarships, need-based scholarships, and scholarships specifically for underrepresented groups in the field of engineering. Additionally, some scholarships may be specific to certain engineering disciplines, such as civil, mechanical, or electrical engineering.

5. Are there any tips for adult students applying for engineering scholarships?

Yes, some tips for adult students applying for engineering scholarships include starting the application process early, thoroughly researching scholarship opportunities, and carefully following all application instructions. It is also important to highlight any relevant experiences or accomplishments in your application and to reach out to your school's financial aid office for additional resources and guidance.