Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering student minor?

1. Dec 21, 2007 #1
    Hey guys, im a Mechanical Engineering student, and im having a hard time trying to decide what the most beneficial minor would be for an engineering field.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

It depends on what career path you want to follow.

Mathematics or Engineering Management are usually good choices.
  4. Dec 21, 2007 #3
    Engineering Mechanics should be easily obtainable, but that may not be diverse enough for you. I agree that Mathematics is also a good choice. If available, maybe do an Engineering Leadership / Entrepreneurship minor.
  5. Dec 23, 2007 #4
    Thank y'all for your replies. I am planning on going into the energy field, however i can't get more specific than that, as i have not figured that out for myself yet. The Engineering Management sounds very attractive and beneficial though. One minor that has crossed my mind as well is a Computer Technology minor, what do you guys that about that?

Also, within the next few semesters i will be getting my Pre-engineering associates degree, do you guys think that will be of any benefit to me?

Thanks guys,

6. Dec 25, 2007 #5

Science Advisor

I'm not sure how much Computer Technology would benefit you if you are a Mech. Eng. You will definitely need computer skills, but you should get all that you need in your normal degree program.

Your pre-engineering degree should have taken care of all the physics, math, and other general education requirements, so yes it will benefit you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?