Is Engineering Technology as Prestigious as Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between engineering and engineering technology, and the confusion surrounding the two. It is mentioned that engineering technology may have negative connotations and may be seen as a "dumbed down" version of engineering. The importance of accreditation from ABET is emphasized, as it can affect job opportunities and the ability to become a licensed engineer. It is also mentioned that the program at the University of Texas appears to be rigorous and similar to a "real" engineering program.
jcsolis
hi everybody...i am about to start my sophomore year in manufacturing engineering technology. before attending college i didn´t know the differences between engineering and eng.technology so i ask to some people about that.
i got the idea but i am still confused. do eng.tech. graduates have the same prestige as engineering grads?? please can somebody explain me differences, working field, etc

Physics news on Phys.org
No, an Engineering Tech is not the same thing as an Engineer. An Engineering Tech will most likely find themselves doing labwork, where the Engineer will be the one doing the research. Without seeing a list of courses you take, it's hard to say what your degree is worth.

The term "technology" attached to the end of a field of study has classically had negative connotations. Usually the approach and an Eng. Tech. program is to be more hands on, where you will spend more time in the lab and doing projects than in lecture. The result is a "dumbed down" version of a science program where they often cut out the advanced math and research methods, or the shaping of your ability to evaluate engineering systems.

Now, this definition isn't absolute. It depends greatly on your institution, and what their requirements for your degree are. The end result for most engineering programs is 4-years undergraduate that will qualify you to take the FE, then the PE, then becoming a fully licensed engineer. Not everyone takes this path, but your program being able to qualify for the FE is what defines a "real" engineering program.

Manufacturing engineering is a broad field, it could focus on anything from engineering economics to something almost identical to mechanical engineering. The way you will be judged by future employers is on your qualification. Your knowledge of engineering systems is directly connected to the rigor of your academic courses. Also, whether or not your program is ABET certified will play heavily into how your education is valued.

If you post a link to how your program is structured it might help people give you better guidance

SRode said:
If you post a link to how your program is structured it might help people give you better guidance

Ok..here is the link to the program of study of my current major:

http://academics.utb.edu/catalog0607/bachelor_four_year/engin_tech-manufacturing.pdf?par_degree_ID=4&degreeList=4 [Broken]

Let me explain you what topics are covered in some classes:

Transport Technologies I: maybe this class sounds strange but it is a formal way to name Thermodynamics. Is basically the same class of Thermodynamics but with a different name.

Transport Techonologies II: another class with a formal name. This is class is equal to Fluid Mechanics.

Last semester I was thinking in change my major to engineering physics, I am very confused at this moment because I don´t know which one choose. I like working with CAD and all that stuff, but I also like the idea to learn how to do research...

If someone is studying Eng.Physics please help me, I want to know career opportunities, etc

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a real engineering degree to me, or at least very close.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Seems like a real engineering degree to me, or at least very close.

I agree with you...comparing Eng.Tech and Eng. Physics degrees from my school there are very few differences.

Well, I never said anything about that comparison. I don't know what 'engineering physics' is.

You have a very good program that is similar to what a usual engineering program covers, and Univ. of Texas is a well known school. However, I couldn't find any accreditation for you program from ABET. I could be wrong, but schools will often hide this fact because employers will look down upon this. You should ask you chair point blank, and if it isn't accredited or "in the process" consider transferring.

It's funny... you do much more math than the usual engineering technology major. You basically cover most of the math that would be found in a non-'engineering technology' course.

Is there a non-'technology' option available to you? The amount of work it looks like you're doing is so close to a "real" engineering degree that it would suck for you to not get certain jobs because your degree says 'technology' at the end of it.

And, like another poster mentioned, make sure your degree is ABET accredited no matter what.

what happen if a school is not ABET acredited? does it means that I can't be a PE or something like that?

Yes I believe that is correct. You will not be able to become a licensed engineer.

jcsolis said:
what happen if a school is not ABET acredited? does it means that I can't be a PE or something like that?

It could also prevent you from getting many jobs, an unaccredited program will cause potential employers to question your schools academic integrity. It could be that your school is trying to get accredited, and isn't there yet because its a long and costly process, but you don't want to be part of their educational experiment. Judging by the rigor of your programs outline I think its safe to say that if you can make it there you'd be able to succeed in a Mech. Eng or Manuf. Eng. program at an accredited school.

Thanks for the advice

What is engineering technology?

Engineering technology is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and improve technology and systems. It focuses on the practical application of engineering principles to solve real-world problems.

What is the difference between engineering and engineering technology?

The main difference between engineering and engineering technology is the focus of their education and training. Engineering programs have a more theoretical and conceptual approach, while engineering technology programs have a more practical and applied approach. Additionally, engineering graduates typically work in research, development, and design, while engineering technology graduates work in implementation and production.

What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in engineering technology?

A degree in engineering technology can lead to a variety of career opportunities, such as becoming a mechanical or electrical engineering technician, a quality control technician, a project manager, or a production supervisor. Graduates can also work in industries such as manufacturing, construction, telecommunications, and aerospace.

What skills are important for a career in engineering technology?

Some important skills for a career in engineering technology include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, communication, and technical knowledge. Additionally, having hands-on experience with technology and the ability to work in a team are also valuable skills in this field.

What are some emerging technologies in the field of engineering technology?

Some emerging technologies in engineering technology include 3D printing, artificial intelligence, renewable energy, and virtual and augmented reality. These technologies have the potential to revolutionize various industries and create new job opportunities for those with a degree in engineering technology.