Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering that is indispensable for society or improving peoples life? maybe EE?

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    Engineering that is indispensable for society or improving peoples life?? maybe EE?

Well I enjoy physics and math, but not to much chemistry becouse i suck at it. I want a career that really make an impact in peoples life, but not in a superficial way. I was thinking in Electrical Engineering, we use electrcity to cook, ligth, and maybe other very usefuel things, but we also used for not necessary things like video games or dumb things. Medicine is not an option. Economics is to superficial and humanities most of the time is just thinking. So an engineering in wich you really do something usefuel? my first option at the moment is EE. How much electrcity is used in factories, like pharmaceutical industrie?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2
    Re: Engineering that is indispensable for society or improving peoples life?? maybe E

It's not the careers but people who benefit society.

4. Jul 20, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Engineering that is indispensable for society or improving peoples life?? maybe E

I give people air conditioning.

A bunch.

5. Jul 21, 2010 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In my book, that is the greatest and noblest profession of all.

6. Jul 21, 2010 #5

Well, there you obviously have it, genetic engineering.

7. Jul 21, 2010 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I vote sanitation engineer. Civilization, as we know it, would collapse within a week or so without functional sewer systems.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  8. Jul 21, 2010 #7

Wow nice...

9. Jul 21, 2010 #8

Does sanitatione engineering really exist?

10. Jul 21, 2010 #9

Yeah but career are defintly important

11. Jul 21, 2010 #10

Evo

Civil Engineer

12. Jul 22, 2010 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I tell people what's best for them and how to live their lives.

13. Jul 22, 2010 #12

yeah but maybe electrcity is more essential?

14. Jul 22, 2010 #13

How really is electrcity neccesary?

15. Jul 22, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agree. Infrastructure is destiny.

16. Jul 22, 2010 #15

I believe passion is more important than careers. All disciplines are equally important.

17. Jul 22, 2010 #16

You want to be a hero? Be a pipefitter, or work in HVAC. No society would exist without proper sanitation and ventilation. Everything else is just a luxury.

18. Jul 23, 2010 #17

Looks like HVAC uses a lot of electrcity =)

19. Jul 23, 2010 #18

All engineering professions are indispensable in some way. You can't take a dump without civil engineers, you can't post on PF without electrical or computer engineers, you can't drive a car without aerospace or mechanical engineers, you can't get any fuel for said car without petroleum engineers, you can't get the metals in your phone without mining engineers, no commercial products would exist without industrial engineers, you couldn't get an x-ray or radiation treatment (and a sizable amount of your electricity) without nuclear engineers, your bank account would get hacked without software engineers... I could go on.

20. Jul 24, 2010 #19

russ_watters

Eh hem - you forgot HVAC engineers: You won't be comfortable in your own house without them....and no office building with computers could function without them.

What KM said really is true: There are some very simple things that we take for granted in modern society that modern society simply wouldn't exist without. Sanitation (your toilet/plumbing) is the biggest reason for the doubling of our lifespans in the past 100 years. Refrigeration (your refrigerator) is probably second, but certainly beyond that, it is a technology that enables much of modern society.

Often, it is the mundane/basic things that are the most essential. Electricity falls into that category as well.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  21. Jul 24, 2010 #20

Pythagorean

Gold Member

oxygen engineer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook