Is architecture the right path for me?

In summary, the person is considering doing architecture after completing their electrical engineering degree. They have a high GPA and their dad is a career engineer, so admission shouldn't be an issue. They are considering whether or not to pursue a degree in architecture or to stick with electrical engineering and pursue a research oriented career.
Melawrghk
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about my edumacation a bit and would like some advice. I am currently in 3rd year of electrical engineering (I love it, don't get me wrong), I also adore drawing and sculpturing. So for a few months I've been thinking about doing architecture after this degree. It's a master's program for 3 years, which isn't bad and it's something I think I'm interested in. I know it's a VERY strong deviation from electrical engineering, a lot of you will probably frown upon this.
I do have a relatively high GPA (3.9), so grades wise admission shouldn't be problematic. It will come down to my lack of experience with structures (well... somewhat lack) and no official artistic education.

Nevertheless, I was thinking of preparing my best application in 4th year and just going for it: if I get in, so be it.. if not, oh well.

What do you think? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Melawrghk said:
I know it's a VERY strong deviation from electrical engineering, a lot of you will probably frown upon this.

really? I think it would be great to think of architecture as another branch of engineering or construction.

Last edited:
Definitely stick with the EE. A degree with EE is worth much more than one in architecture. In my opinion architecture is not a good choice - especially since you're actually graduating with a EE degree.

(I can't tell you from personal experience - yet - because I'm actually just about to start my ee program, lol, but my dad who is a EE and works in the petrochem industry has advised me on this and he thinks it is definitely not the way to go.)

nocturne-e said:
Definitely stick with the EE. A degree with EE is worth much more than one in architecture. In my opinion architecture is not a good choice - especially since you're actually graduating with a EE degree.

(I can't tell you from personal experience - yet - because I'm actually just about to start my ee program, lol, but my dad who is a EE and works in the petrochem industry has advised me on this and he thinks it is definitely not the way to go.)

Well, are you going into EE because your dad works in the petrochem industry (and probably makes a lot of money) or because you find it interesting?
My goal in electrical engineering would never be to work in petrochem. It pretty much stands against all I believe in. My choices right now would be research or applying to companies similar to Altera or Xilinx because that interests me. As you can see, that is fairly narrow.

That's what everyone asks but I can honestly say it does interest me personally. My dad even gave me three choices! Doctor, lawyer, or engineer. Haha. He was kidding but I've always liked science and math pretty well and I ended up loving my intro physics class so I've decided it's a good route to take. I was thinking ME for a while but to me, I seem naturally more inclined for EE.

Of course this is merely his personal opinion, but he figured it would be better to get a civil degree + an architecture degree (either majoring or minoring in one) because it's more versitile. I would be willing to bet that having the EE degree will make you stand out from non engineering archs.

I'm going into EE for a lot of reasons, but I will admit that salary and job versitility is near the top of my list. To be honest, I've never believe that the whole "do what you love" advice is completely good. Sure I'll do what I'm naturally inclined to do and thankfully I think I'll like my career choice but in some ways I know I'll have to learn to love it; I'm looking for the best return on investment for myself to be personally satisfied but also monentarily.

Though again, many people would probably disagree with this route but I personally don't think I could stand the politics and the lack of stability in a research oriented career.

1. What is the main difference between engineering and architecture?

Engineering focuses on the design and construction of functional and efficient structures, while architecture emphasizes the aesthetic and human experience of a building.

2. Can an engineer become an architect?

Yes, with additional education and training, an engineer can become a licensed architect. However, the reverse is not true.

3. What skills do engineers and architects have in common?

Both engineers and architects need to have strong problem-solving skills, be detail-oriented, and have a good understanding of math and science. They also both need to be able to work with other professionals, such as contractors and clients.

4. Are there any overlapping job duties between engineers and architects?

While there may be some overlap in the design and construction process, engineers and architects have distinct roles and responsibilities. Engineers focus on the technical aspects of a project, such as structural stability and building systems, while architects focus on the overall design and aesthetics.

5. What are some examples of projects where engineers and architects work together?

Projects such as skyscrapers, bridges, and large-scale public buildings often require collaboration between engineers and architects. They may also work together on sustainable design projects, where both technical and aesthetic considerations are important.