1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering to Maths

1. Aug 19, 2014 #1
    Hello there,

I've graduated a few years ago with a degree in Civil Engineering and have been building on me experience in the field. I now intend to take some training courses on maths related topics, eg. MATLab. Could you recommend any institute that offers such training ?

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2014 #2

MATLAB is not a math related topic, it is a tool used to solve problems. I used it in thermodynamics, strength of materials, reactor physics, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, physics. So you see you can solve a lot of different problems in a lot of different areas with MATLAB. Why not just purchase a license and learn it on your own? It's not that difficult and certainly doesn't require a degree in mathematics to learn. We use it a lot in engineering at my school in the upper level courses. After while professors don't care that you can do complicated linear algebra problems by hand, they are looking to see how resourceful and efficient you are. Of course you have to prove that the work is yours and explain why you did it a certain way but that's easy. Figuring out how to solve the problem is the difficult part

4. Aug 25, 2014 #3
    I see. Thank you for clearing that up. I took a closer look at it recently, you're right. Cheer man.

5. Aug 25, 2014 #4

No problem man, I can recommend some books if you would like.

6. Aug 25, 2014 #5
    You should consider just learning python instead, it is very similar with more options and it is free. Much of the academic world has moved over to it instead of Matlab

7. Aug 25, 2014 #6
    You've got me interested, what kinda books? :)

Wow, Python seems very powerful. Thank you for the tip. I already know C++ too so picking up Python shouldn't be too hard.

I got an offer from London Metropolitan University. What do you guys think of the school ? How about the job market after it ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook