Engineering to Physics: Guidance for Undergraduate Students

In summary, 3rd year Mechanical Engg. student wants to switch to theoretical physics after Undergraduate, but doesn't know how to study on his/her own or what the proper way to go about it. Mayank asks for advice, and is given some good advice by fellow forum users. He/she contacts physics faculty at grad schools he is interested in, and gets their feedback. He/she also reads other posts on the forum, and makes a decision on the basis of the information he has. He/she wishes luck to another forum user, and ends the post with a reminder to make his/her own decisions based on the available information.
Mayank Agrawal
Hello everyone!
I am 3rd year Mechanical Engg. student at one of India's good institutes...
I want to switch from Engg to THEORETICAL PHYSICS after my Undergrade. But I don't know how to start or what would be the proper way to study on my own Ug physics.
It will be very helpful if anyone can provide me some guidance...
I am also looking forward for my Grad after Ug but that may not be possible right after UG, ( there might be delay of few years) so please provide me some guidance on this also...
Thank to everyone in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
See if you like the recommendations by Gerard 't Hooft, a sympathetic Nobel prize winning theoretician !
And take your time.

And, oh yes: Hello Mayank, welcome to Physics Forums :smile: !

Likes Mayank Agrawal
Mayank Agrawal said:
Hello everyone!
I am 3rd year Mechanical Engg. student at one of India's good institutes...
I want to switch from Engg to THEORETICAL PHYSICS after my Undergrade. But I don't know how to start or what would be the proper way to study on my own Ug physics.
It will be very helpful if anyone can provide me some guidance...
I am also looking forward for my Grad after Ug but that may not be possible right after UG, ( there might be delay of few years) so please provide me some guidance on this also...
Thank to everyone in advance...

I've asked this before, and I will ask it again:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...s-with-bs-in-engineering.613409/#post-3955029
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...oretical-physicist.778976/page-2#post-4899256

Zz.

Likes BvU, Mayank Agrawal and Student100
You've gotten some good advice. I would emphasize that the best approach may differ by country and by school.

Contact some physics faculty at the grad schools that interest you and get their feedback.

Likes Mayank Agrawal
ZapperZ said:
Thnx to all,but I am confused about how to study like Electricity&Electromagnetism- i am following MIT video lectures but then there are Two courses- basic and advance, so which one to take or both or should i complete basic first and then move to advance or complete each chapter with basic+advance.
I can give time to study and understanding the concepts but stuff like what to read and from which book/site,I am totally stuck there bcz there is lot of stuff and everyone provides different recommendations so which to follow.
please help me with this.

dear Mayank,

I'm a pretty old experimental physicist, close to retirement. Always liked theoretical physics, but realized the abstraction levels required to really contribute are very high indeed. So I graduated and PhD'd in experimental particle physics. Did CERN summer schools for theory and for computing - which suited me far, far better. Never did accelerator physics at all (sorry, Z).

When reading your post #5 I have to conclude Courtney's advice is very valuable for you at this point: you are obviously searching around and rightly so. Do some tests (if you can afford the fees) and especially: talk to others.

Likes Mayank Agrawal
BvU said:
dear Mayank,

I'm a pretty old experimental physicist, close to retirement. Always liked theoretical physics, but realized the abstraction levels required to really contribute are very high indeed. So I graduated and PhD'd in experimental particle physics. Did CERN summer schools for theory and for computing - which suited me far, far better. Never did accelerator physics at all (sorry, Z).

When reading your post #5 I have to conclude Courtney's advice is very valuable for you at this point: you are obviously searching around and rightly so. Do some tests (if you can afford the fees) and especially: talk to others.
Thnx BvU, i was searching about it and I came across the idea of doing M.Sc (2 year course) from an Indian institute and then after pursuing Ph.D so that I will be having academic background to get into PhD and also surviving there cz only getting there won't do any good.
Please tell is it worth pursuing??
thnx...

Please tell is it worth pursuing??

No good looking for support here. It has to be your own decision and the best you can do is make that decision on the basis of the information you can gather plus your own gut feeling. For me it has been worth it. I wish you the best of luck !

Likes Mayank Agrawal
It has to be your own decision and the best you can do is make that decision on the basis of the information you can gather plus your own gut feeling. For me it has been worth it. I wish you the best of luck ![/QUOTE]
thanx a lot BuV..
So now I am going to start studying the UG physics course, so I have made my plan- First Video lecture(MIT/ other university) and then book and after that examples and problems, so is it fine or would you like to add something to it??
thnx...

Mayank Agrawal said:
thanx a lot BuV..
So now I am going to start studying the UG physics course, so I have made my plan- First Video lecture(MIT/ other university) and then book and after that examples and problems, so is it fine or would you like to add something to it??
thnx...

So how would you evaluate your knowledge in each of these subjects? How would you know you have mastered the material at a level that all physics undergraduate should know? More importantly, how would you convince the schools you will be applying to that you have such knowledge? Do you think that just claiming that you know undergraduate classical mechanics, E&M, QM, Thermo/Statistical mechanics is sufficient?

BTW, I am still skeptical that you actually understand what "theoretical physics" is, and why that term, especially in this context, is ambiguous.

Zz.

Likes Mayank Agrawal
I suppose in many universities an EE BSc is considered qualification nowadays ?

Likes Dr. Courtney
BvU said:
I suppose in many universities an EE BSc is considered qualification nowadays ?

Is it? If a physics dept. has more applications than what they can accept, what would make that EE degree holder more desirable than someone with a Physics degree? And especially in THIS case, where he isn't going to use his EE degree as a leverage to work in experimental physics, or detector physics, etc... where that EE degree can actually be useful. Instead, he's thinking of going into "theoretical physics"!

Zz.

Likes Mayank Agrawal, Dr. Courtney and BvU
ZapperZ said:
So how would you evaluate your knowledge in each of these subjects? How would you know you have mastered the material at a level that all physics undergraduate should know? More importantly, how would you convince the schools you will be applying to that you have such knowledge? Do you think that just claiming that you know undergraduate classical mechanics, E&M, QM, Thermo/Statistical mechanics is sufficient?

BTW, I am still skeptical that you actually understand what "theoretical physics" is, and why that term, especially in this context, is ambiguous.

Zz.

These are some great points. Grades have their weaknesses, but grades in physics courses from an accredited university will be viewed as a better indicator of accomplishment in physics (and preparedness for grad school) than any self-assessment.

The Physics GRE will also be viewed as a valuable indicator.

Likes Mayank Agrawal
ZapperZ said:

Zz.
The only possible answer I could come up with is USING OTHER UNIVERSITIES EXAM PAPERS FOR MY EVALUATION. n DISCUSSING PROBLEMS WITH ALL U GUYS as much possible n with my some college friends of Physics Department to check my concepts..

For ur questions- " how would you convince the schools you will be applying to that you have such knowledge?", considering this question, I thought that M.Sc would be good for that...as in India some universities allow this if I pass their entrance exam n convince them in interview...n my current college also accept less than 1% candidates for UG so this also counts in India...
Being enrolled in M.Sc before Ph.D wouldn't be a good ?
..your advice will be highly useful..

Mayank Agrawal said:
how would you convince the schools you will be applying to that you have such knowledge

I think you should start by using proper English and not text speak. Don't use "u" for "you" or "n" for "and".

Likes Dr. Courtney
Vanadium 50 said:
I think you should start by using proper English and not text speak. Don't use "u" for "you" or "n" for "and".
Thanks,I will take care of that.

1. What is the difference between engineering and physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and build practical solutions to real-world problems, while physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions through observation and experimentation. Engineering focuses on creating new technologies and products, while physics seeks to understand and explain natural phenomena.

2. How can studying engineering benefit a physics student?

Studying engineering can benefit a physics student by providing them with practical skills and hands-on experience in applying physics principles to real-world problems. This can help students better understand and appreciate the relevance and applications of physics in various industries and fields.

3. Are there any specific engineering fields that are closely related to physics?

Yes, there are several engineering fields that are closely related to physics, such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and aerospace engineering. These fields heavily rely on physics principles and theories to design and develop various technologies and systems.

4. Can a physics graduate pursue a career in engineering?

Yes, a physics graduate can pursue a career in engineering. While it may require additional coursework or training, the strong foundation in physics principles and problem-solving skills can be beneficial for a career in engineering.

5. What advice do you have for undergraduate students interested in both engineering and physics?

My advice would be to explore both fields through coursework, internships, and research opportunities to gain a better understanding of their interests and strengths. It is also important to network and seek guidance from professionals in both fields to make informed decisions about potential career paths.