Engineering vs Physics: Making a Decision

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in math and physics and their desire to become a scientist in the field of quantum mechanics and particle physics. They took mechanical engineering in college but feel that they are not learning enough about the fundamentals of physics. They also express a desire to understand the fundamentals and apply engineering concepts to discover new things. The conversation also explores the options of studying physics or continuing with engineering, and the difference between building and experimenting. It is suggested that the individual should research and consider their true passion before pursuing a career in physics.
ajayguhan
Right from my high school i was very interested in maths and physics, and i want to be scientist in the field of quantum mechanics, particle physics.

I took mechanical engineering at my college since it has wide application but here I'm not learning the m uch fundamentals of physics such as quantum mechanics, lagrangian and hamiltonainan mechanics only Newtonian then we focus into solid, fluid dynamics.the engineering focus on concepts to build or explain something, but never focuses on concepts.

My plan before was like after doing mechanical engineering, i can do nuclear engineer at post graduate level and start out my career as scientist in sub atomic level

I like to build something like engineers do but i love to find out the reason being every physical law and always i wanted to answers the question why it it? How it is?

So if I'm asked to build something for commercial purpose like engineers do I'm least bothered, because i want to find something new about at very small scale like Einstein and other scientist found out theories.

So should i quit engineering and study physics or else while studying engineering itself may i study subjects like classical, quantum mechanics and electrodynamics, quantum field theory, etc...

I want to understand the fundamentals and apply engineering concepts to find out new thing about fundamentals.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a poster said on another PF forum, you don't need quantum mechanics or special relativity to design a bridge or a piston engine. The job of the ME is to apply physical principles to design things, and for most things, even rocket science, that means Newtonian mechanics is sufficient to the task at hand.

Now, if your desire is not to design widgets but to study leading edge physics, then a change in major would be indicated.

ajayguhan said:
I want to understand the fundamentals and apply engineering concepts to find out new thing about fundamentals.

It seems that your focus is on the fundamentals in that case you should stick to science. The question I'd like to ask is: would you find it exciting to build anything an engineer builds? like cars, boats, or airplanes? Or would you rather do an experiment to explore the nature of gravity, photons, and dark matter?

For me I just find the second category more interesting.

ajayguhan said:
Right from my high school i was very interested in maths and physics, and i want to be scientist in the field of quantum mechanics, particle physics.

I took mechanical engineering at my college since it has wide application but here I'm not learning the m uch fundamentals of physics such as quantum mechanics, lagrangian and hamiltonainan mechanics only Newtonian then we focus into solid, fluid dynamics.the engineering focus on concepts to build or explain something, but never focuses on concepts.

My plan before was like after doing mechanical engineering, i can do nuclear engineer at post graduate level and start out my career as scientist in sub atomic level

I like to build something like engineers do but i love to find out the reason being every physical law and always i wanted to answers the question why it it? How it is?

So if I'm asked to build something for commercial purpose like engineers do I'm least bothered, because i want to find something new about at very small scale like Einstein and other scientist found out theories.

So should i quit engineering and study physics or else while studying engineering itself may i study subjects like classical, quantum mechanics and electrodynamics, quantum field theory, etc...

It boils down to if you want to build or experiment. If you want to build and design do engineering. If you want to experiment and discover new theories, physics

I always wanted to do experiments but after finishing my mechanical engineering and if i did my pg in nuclear engineering then i would be doing experiments in nucleus, quantum effect, photon as same as a particle physician do so I can proceed with it nah?

ajayguhan said:
I always wanted to do experiments but after finishing my mechanical engineering and if i did my pg in nuclear engineering then i would be doing experiments in nucleus, quantum effect, photon as same as a particle physician do so I can proceed with it nah?

That's actually not the case. In fact you won't see much of any of that stuff. You will study the nucleus because that's after all where we get nuclear energy from. Quantum mechanics. No

ajayguhan said:

A 'physician' is a medical doctor. A 'particle physicist' is someone who fiddles with subatomic particles.

You should do some research on physics, including the math of it to see if you really want to be a physicist. In my experience if people have to talk you into doing physics you generally don't like it. I prefer physics as its exciting. If you want to learn about hows the universe works, rip the mask off nature and stare at the face of god become a physicist, if you want to know hoe a blender works become an engineer. If you are interested in both then I recommend studying physics and doing engineering as a hobby.

1. What is the main difference between engineering and physics?

The main difference between engineering and physics is their focus. Engineering is the application of scientific knowledge and principles to design and build solutions to real-world problems, while physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

2. Which field offers a better career outlook?

Both engineering and physics offer excellent career opportunities. However, engineering is a more specialized field and typically has a higher demand for professionals in various industries. Physics, on the other hand, offers opportunities in research and academia.

3. What type of skills do you need for engineering and physics?

For engineering, strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical skills are essential. In physics, you need a strong foundation in mathematics, analytical thinking, and the ability to conduct experiments and analyze data.

4. Can you switch between engineering and physics careers?

Yes, it is possible to switch between engineering and physics careers. The two fields have some overlap, and many engineers have a background in physics. However, it may require additional education and training to transition from one field to the other.

5. Which field has a higher salary potential?

In general, engineering tends to have a higher salary potential compared to physics. However, this can vary depending on the specific field, job role, and location. Both fields offer competitive salaries and potential for growth and advancement.