1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering vs Research/teaching jobs?

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    I'm interested in classical mechanics, so I'm interested in mechanical engineering or phd's in applied mechanics. I'm torn between the two, because I have yet to know which one suits me better. Can someone explain the benefits of each?
    In the modern day, is being a professor in applied mechanics not that popular in comparison to other things like physics?
    And also, my goal is being able to apply mechanics to real life and analyze many things. I would also like to know more abstract mechanics and theories behind it, not solely just the practical side to it. In other words, I am interested in mechanical engineering, however, it might also entail other things such as thermodynamics that I am not as interested. In general, I'm interested in analyzing everyday life problems related to mechanics.

thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted