Engineers and Theoreticians

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
In summary: I never thought about it like the article suggests.In summary, engineers and theorists are not necessarily polar opposites, but there are differences in their approach to research and problem-solving. Engineers tend to focus on practical applications and may use various methods to solve problems, while theorists may prioritize theoretical understanding and may not always have practical applications in mind. However, both fields are important and often overlap in their use of scientific knowledge and principles.
chaoseverlasting
What irks engineers about theorists and vice versa?

I mean, to solve DE's for example, a lot of my friends prefer the Laplace Transforms (I'm studying EE), but my mathematics professor's kinda against the L(f) to solve DE's. :tongue2:

What other quirks have you guys come across?

Physics news on Phys.org
Errrr, what?

Nothing irk's engineer's about theorists. What an igonrant question.

I don't understand what your personal story about your math professors has to do with anything. There's good reason why they are against using it. They want you to know how to do it via various methods, and the Laplace transform doesn't work for any old function. So, how are you going to use it for functions that don't have laplace transforms?

You can't take the laplace transform of exp(x^2), for instance.

Also, what do engineers care about 'theorists' in the first place?

Last edited:
Engineers and theorists are not necessarily polar opposites. Many engineers work on very theoretical research. The main thing is that the engineers work on theoretical projects that ultimately have some application.

A better dichotomy would be engineering/applied research vs. pure/fundamental research. The former is focused on research that is suspected to have some practical application, whereas the latter conducts research that may not necessarily have a practical application.

Or, perhaps another dichotomy is experimental research vs. theoretical research.

Cyrus said:
Errrr, what?

Nothing irk's engineer's about theorists. What an igonrant question.

You can't take the laplace transform of exp(x^2), for instance.

Thank you. Thats very helpful. And I'm pretty sure you can take the laplace transform of exp(x^2). I could show you how.

chaoseverlasting said:
Thank you. Thats very helpful. And I'm pretty sure you can take the laplace transform of exp(x^2). I could show you how.

Please do, by all means. This is exactly why your teachers DONT want you :bugeye: blindly :bugeye: taking the laplace transform and trying to solve diff. equations.

I really think your question makes no sense. Sorry. I don't even know what you are defining as a 'theorist'.

All in all, it was a bit harsh of a response - I apologize. But it irks me when students of science ask such questions. You should know better than to post a question like that <tisk, tisk>. It's along the lines of posting, which area of engineering is 'the hardest' to study, - whatever that's supposed to mean. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
chaoseverlasting said:
I mean, to solve DE's for example, a lot of my friends prefer the Laplace Transforms (I'm studying EE), but my mathematics professor's kinda against the L(f) to solve DE's.

Well for those of us that don't live in 1935, we like to use numerical methods instead.

I understand why this question is asked. I have often had conversations with math friends that think their going to change the world with topology. :rolleyes: Engineers are more about getting things done and getting them done quickly. This usually means fudging some things or using the common saying "close enough". While fundamental people, or "fundys" need everything perfect and exact no matter what the time or cost.

I have many friends who are theoreticians (in physics) and engineers. I'm really sorry to say that, but, as unlikely as it seems, Cyrus is perfectly right on this one, and incredibly good looking. The original question is kind of... ignorant of the real world. There are as many engineers and theoreticians species as they are all single individuals.

You could have asked what bothers professionals in job A about job B. But that's a different question. For instance, theoreticians might not like to finalize a product to the point where it can be sold, as opposed to just solving a problem (even in principle).

edit
Time-machine update. I just lost all credibility. :tongue2:

Last edited:
humanino said:
Cyrus is perfectly right on this one, and incredibly good looking .

The more you post, the more I love you. Best post you have ever made.

Maybe I worded the question wrong. I just thought it a bit funny how these little things get to people. And you're right, you can't take the laplacian of exp(x^2), I misread it. I thought it was exp(-x^2).

Well, there's the whole i vs. j thing concerning imaginary numbers. But it really shouldn't irk anybody. It just seems a little weird if you're used to using i and then read an engineering paper or book where it's ejωt everywhere.

But after a while you get used to it.

humanino said:
...as unlikely as it seems, Cyrus is perfectly right on this one, and incredibly good looking.
You know, you only have to say that when he's wrong. You can crush him like a bug, but once you tell him he's good looking, he completely forgets whatever came before it.

Engineers, in their work, apply the already existing knowledge of scientific theories in order to construct things, in much the same way as computer scientists borrow use mathematical theorems to build computers and ideas from linguistics to construct programming language.

Generally, what they're doing is not theoretical science but application of science to the real world, and not discovering truths about the natural world like a scientist does.

I think it's pretty clear the two are distinct and people with an engineering mindset aren't necessarily good scientists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering#Relationships_with_other_disciplines

I was theoretically thinking about getting an engineering degree.

russ_watters said:
You know, you only have to say that when he's wrong. You can crush him like a bug, but once you tell him he's good looking, he completely forgets whatever came before it.

:rofl: I am good looking! say...what were you talking about again? Oh well, I'm going to go back to looking at myself in the mirror. Doot-de-dooo-dooo-doooo.

"Almost all engineers working on new designs find that they do not have all the needed information. Most often, they are limited by insufficient scientific knowledge. Thus they study mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology and mechanics. Often they have to add to the sciences relevant to their profession. Thus engineering sciences are born."

Somehow I always thought engineering was a natural extension to science.

1. What is the difference between an engineer and a theoretician?

Engineers are professionals who apply scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain practical solutions to real-world problems. Theoreticians, on the other hand, are scientists who use theoretical models and mathematical equations to explain and predict natural phenomena. In short, engineers build things, whereas theoreticians study and analyze things.

2. Do engineers and theoreticians work together?

Yes, engineers and theoreticians often collaborate on research and development projects. Theoreticians provide the theoretical framework and mathematical models, while engineers use this information to design and create practical solutions. This partnership allows for a more thorough and accurate understanding of complex problems.

3. Can an engineer also be a theoretician?

Yes, it is possible for an engineer to also have a theoretical background and be considered a theoretician. Many engineers have a strong foundation in mathematics and use theoretical principles in their work. However, the primary focus of an engineer is to apply these theories to solve practical problems.

4. Are engineers and theoreticians equally important in the scientific community?

Both engineers and theoreticians play crucial roles in the scientific community. Engineers are responsible for bringing theoretical concepts to life and making them applicable in the real world. Theoreticians, on the other hand, provide the foundation for these practical solutions through their research and analysis. Both professions are essential for advancement and innovation in science and technology.

5. What skills are necessary for someone to become an engineer or a theoretician?

To become an engineer, one must have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, engineers should have strong communication and teamwork abilities to work effectively with others. Theoreticians, on the other hand, require a strong understanding of mathematics and theoretical concepts, as well as the ability to think abstractly and analytically. Strong research and data analysis skills are also necessary for success as a theoretician.