Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineers Theory of Bending

1. Mar 23, 2016 #1
    I have a quick question in relation to the Engineers theory of bending when applied to simply supported beams.

I am using the following portion of the theory to determine the stress in a simply supported beam when subjected to bending:

Stress = My/I

Is it appropriate that I compare the outcome from this calculation for stress to the yield stress of the given material as obtained from a simple tensile test in order to determine if the beam will yield under the given conditions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2016 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the calculated stress on the tensile outer fibers of the beam ( y equals distance from NA to outer fibers) equals the tensile yield stress of the material, the beam is usually considered to have failed. This assumes no premature failing on the compression side due to local buckling or warping stresses, if they exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted