Stress Comparison for Simply Supported Beams: A Guide for Engineers

In summary, the conversation discussed using the Engineers theory of bending to determine the stress in a simply supported beam. The formula used was Stress = My/I, and the question was whether it is appropriate to compare this calculated stress to the yield stress of the material to determine if the beam will yield under given conditions.
Marts12
I have a quick question in relation to the Engineers theory of bending when applied to simply supported beams.

I am using the following portion of the theory to determine the stress in a simply supported beam when subjected to bending:

Stress = My/I

Is it appropriate that I compare the outcome from this calculation for stress to the yield stress of the given material as obtained from a simple tensile test in order to determine if the beam will yield under the given conditions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
When the calculated stress on the tensile outer fibers of the beam ( y equals distance from NA to outer fibers) equals the tensile yield stress of the material, the beam is usually considered to have failed. This assumes no premature failing on the compression side due to local buckling or warping stresses, if they exist.

Likes DanielSauza

1. What is the Engineers Theory of Bending?

The Engineers Theory of Bending is a principle in engineering that describes how different materials behave under certain loads and forces. It is used to design and analyze structures such as beams, bridges, and buildings.

2. How does the Engineers Theory of Bending work?

The theory states that when a force is applied to a beam or structure, it causes a deformation or bending, which creates internal stresses. These stresses are distributed throughout the material and can be calculated using equations and formulas.

3. What factors affect the bending of a material according to the Engineers Theory of Bending?

The bending of a material is affected by several factors, including the material's properties (such as strength and elasticity), the shape and size of the structure, and the magnitude and direction of the applied force.

4. What are some practical applications of the Engineers Theory of Bending?

The Engineers Theory of Bending is used in a variety of engineering fields, including civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering. It is essential in designing and testing structures to ensure they can withstand the forces they will experience in real-world applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the Engineers Theory of Bending?

While the theory is a valuable tool in engineering, it has some limitations. It assumes that materials behave in a linear elastic manner, which may not always be the case. It also does not account for factors such as temperature, fatigue, and creep, which can affect the behavior of materials over time.