Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineers who changed an industry.

1. Jul 11, 2003 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Today we celebrated the shipping of the 200millionth HP Inkjet printer at HP Corvallis. This is the place it all started, in a small room in the south east corner of Building 3,an idea supplied by HP labs and 4 engineers created the foundation of the modern printing industry. 2 of those 4 engineers STILL WORK at HP Corvallis. They were introduced at the picnic today.

A short while after the indroduction one of them walked by were I was sitting and dropped his paper plate into the trash. Consider the effect this man had on the printing industry. Before HP Inkjet there was dot matrix, a rumor to most on this board. Now photo quality pictures printed quickly and quietly. These guys are agin to god in my eyes. Few people can lay claim to such a remarkable change, a change which is a significant portion of what the modern computer industry is all about.

I sat in the shadow of greatness today.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2003 #2
    Yeah, mad props out to the printer gods. All these things we take for granted... these things are such a major part of our lives. Dot matrix, hehehe...

4. Jul 12, 2003 #3
    I had a dot matrix printer...actually, I've had multiple

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?