Engineers who changed an industry.

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industry
In summary, today HP Corvallis celebrated the shipping of their 200millionth HP Inkjet printer, a product that revolutionized the printing industry. This idea was initially conceived by HP labs and 4 engineers, 2 of whom still work at HP Corvallis and were honored at the celebration. The impact of this man on the printing industry is immense, as it replaced the outdated dot matrix printers and introduced photo-quality printing. The speaker expressed admiration and gratitude towards these engineers, acknowledging their contribution to the modern computer industry.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Today we celebrated the shipping of the 200millionth HP Inkjet printer at HP Corvallis. This is the place it all started, in a small room in the south east corner of Building 3,an idea supplied by HP labs and 4 engineers created the foundation of the modern printing industry. 2 of those 4 engineers STILL WORK at HP Corvallis. They were introduced at the picnic today.

A short while after the indroduction one of them walked by were I was sitting and dropped his paper plate into the trash. Consider the effect this man had on the printing industry. Before HP Inkjet there was dot matrix, a rumor to most on this board. Now photo quality pictures printed quickly and quietly. These guys are agin to god in my eyes. Few people can lay claim to such a remarkable change, a change which is a significant portion of what the modern computer industry is all about.

I sat in the shadow of greatness today.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, mad props out to the printer gods. All these things we take for granted... these things are such a major part of our lives. Dot matrix, hehehe...

I had a dot matrix printer...actually, I've had multiple

1. Who are some notable engineers that have changed an industry?

Some notable engineers that have changed an industry include Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Nikola Tesla, Thomas Edison, and Henry Ford.

2. How did these engineers change their respective industries?

Elon Musk revolutionized the aerospace industry with his company SpaceX and the electric vehicle industry with Tesla. Steve Jobs transformed the computer and smartphone industries with Apple. Nikola Tesla's contributions to electricity and engineering have greatly impacted the modern world. Thomas Edison's inventions, such as the light bulb, have shaped the electrical industry. Henry Ford's development of the assembly line transformed the automobile industry.

3. What challenges did these engineers face when changing their industries?

Some challenges that these engineers faced included financial obstacles, societal resistance, technical difficulties, and competition from other companies.

4. How did these engineers' contributions impact society?

The contributions of these engineers have greatly impacted society by advancing technology, improving efficiency, and creating new industries. Their innovations have also had a significant impact on the economy and the daily lives of people around the world.

5. What can we learn from these engineers who changed an industry?

We can learn that innovation, determination, and perseverance are essential qualities in changing an industry. These engineers also demonstrate the importance of taking risks and thinking outside the box in order to make significant advancements and improvements in various industries.