Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

England is wet

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

The summer floods are back and with rain forcast for the next three days things are going to get interesting, may be we should be buying amphibious vehicles.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here it is below zero F and more snow. I've never seen so much snow and so many days below freezing. We're really getting hit hard this year.

4. Jan 18, 2008 #3
    Yeah, weve had a really cold week. Got an "unofficial" record of -7F but it was colder outside the city.

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

how are you coping?

6. Jan 19, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have about a 200% normal snowpack in the mountains. If we get a warm weather system from the south that melts the snow all at once like we did in '96, we can expect severe flooding. The floods of '96 were 500 year floods. We had another 500 year flood two years later.

Our creek's flow is normally between 30 and 100 cubic feet per second, but in '96 I estimated the flow to be about 300 cfs.

Here is a shot from above during normal flow [second photo], and another take down at the creek's edge during the flood. At that point our twenty-foot creek was about two miles wide. The flooding in the field all originated from approx. a ten-foot deep flow about thirty feet wide entering our property. From there it jumped the banks and flooded the entire area. We still have tree stumps on the property that weigh at least 500 pounds that were carried in by the flood.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  7. Jan 19, 2008 #6
    I was just in London for 7 days and it rained for 6 of them.

8. Jan 19, 2008 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's a dismal, grey island. Whatever is it good for? Ireland, at least, is green.

9. Jan 19, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

wolram, I hope your house isn't in a flood-prone area.

I never realized how much mood is affected by the environment until I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska. 20 hours of dark, for months on end...it really tweaks the brain chemistry!

But that experience helps to make the dreary Seattle weather seem tolerable.

10. Jan 19, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

True, it is a plot of land sinking in the weight of humanity, when there is only 1 sq meter per person we are going to burst open and take over the world.

11. Jan 19, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...again :wink:

12. Jan 19, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

I am lucky to be living on relatively high land, however the land is saturated and over night fields become lakes and the lakes cross roads, The weather does get one down, what is it called (sad) or some such.

13. Jan 19, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

I just came in from clearing up the snow that had slid off our roof and froze to the concrete patio in front of the house. Ugh!! Like chiseling concrete. We have had almost no snow for the past 3 years or so, and so far this year we have gotten well over 5 feet. Luckily, there was a mild thaw and some rain a couple of weeks back that took the levels down a bit. This may be a tricky spring if the snow-pack holds, and then we get a couple of days of heavy rain. That situation caused a devastating flood on April Fool's day of 1987. Here's a link - a slide-show is linked under the initial image. We lost bridges and roads, as well as dwellings. Our town of Skowhegan was cut in two by the damage to bridge abutments and roadways, so if you had to get to work on the other side of town, you might have to drive 20 miles out of your way to use whatever roads and bridges were still passable.

http://centralmaine.mainetoday.com/floodof87.html

Here is what the snow looks like after settling at least a couple of feet during the warm weather earlier. There is a LOT more snow in the mountains, so a sudden warm wet spell could cause the Carrabasset and Sandy Rivers to jump their banks, and downstream from where they feed into the Kennebec, there would be damaging floods. With the very unpredictable weather we've been having, that is a real danger.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  14. Jan 19, 2008 #13
    Bitter, deadly cold here tonight. CUDDLE ALERT!

15. Jan 19, 2008 #14
    Fine, thanks for asking. I mean, I know of a few people who have slipped and fallen on ice, etc. There was a thing in the newspaper yesterday (www.daily-times.com) about a drunk freezing to death, but thats the first death in this area so far due directly to the cold. Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but there are so many drunks here (predominantly Navajo) that no one will really notice.

16. Jan 19, 2008 #15
    We had a lady freeze to her fence overnight. It seems she was taking the trash out with slighty damp hands and grabed onto the fence. We had a howling, gusting wind most of the night, so I'm guessing no one heard her.

17. Jan 19, 2008 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's horrible!! Sounds like how I will end things. :frown:

18. Jan 20, 2008 #17

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is really warm here is London. 14 degrees C in the middle of the night is apparantly a
    new record for Januari.

19. Jan 20, 2008 #18

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Been in London this weekend, it's been ridiculously warm!

20. Jan 20, 2008 #19
    The rainy season here in Phoenix ended a few weeks ago, so its been pretty clear. Also, temperatures are constantly around the 80s. I have no idea what it must be like for the rest of you.

21. Jan 20, 2008 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Go back a page and look at my house. It's 13 degrees F outside and diving fast. We'll probably see -5 or so tonight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?