Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

England vs Sweden

1. Jun 20, 2006 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh my! What an amazing goal by Joe Cole! That was magical!! 1-0 to England. Sweden look a pedestrian team without Zlatan.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1-1 thanks to Allback. Against the run of play. That goal looks to have turned the match. Sweden attacking really well suddenly.

4. Jun 20, 2006 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not that it matters much.

A pity, really, I was rooting for T&T to make it through to the second round. I guess that's what I get for rooting for the underdog.

5. Jun 20, 2006 #4

EL

Science Advisor

One half each. 2-2 was a fair result and both teams can be quite satisfied.

Sweden was way to passive in the first half, while England showed their unfamous mental strength in the second.

6. Jun 20, 2006 #5

DM

England was very poor at set pieces. Giving chances like that against big teams in the near future of the tournament will cost them dearly.

7. Jun 21, 2006 #6
    Looks like sweden ended it with a tie at the last minute.
    What happensto ties at the world cup is there some kind of tie breaker match?

8. Jun 21, 2006 #7

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the group stage, tie games end as a draw. (Relatively frequent.) There are some rules for resolving situations where the point total is equal at the end of group play that eventually come down to drawing lots.

During the elimination rounds, if there is no winner at the end of 90 minutes + stoppage time, there is a 30 minute overtime (no sudden death), and failing an overtime winner, the game goes to penalty kicks -- initally 5 per team, and then one at a time.

9. Jun 21, 2006 #8
    I am gutted by that result we could have won that game, in the second half England defended set plays like a bunch of school boys and if they keep defending like that then we have no chance of getting anywhere near the final.

Wish all the best to michael owen though, rumour has it that he's going to be out of action for six months.

10. Jun 21, 2006 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The following happened at a pub in Oslo during the match:
    At the 2-1 moment, a Swede swore, got up and punched a Brit in the nose.
    Predictably, the Brits' friends started swearing, and punched the Swede's nose back.

Then the Swede was thrown out of the place, but returned a few minutes later to punch a few more noses only to get his own arm broken.

Thankfully, I wasn't there.

11. Jun 21, 2006 #10
    That was awfully stupid. Won't do that again in a hurry will he.

12. Jun 21, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Owen's going home with a torn knee ligament. That ends BobG's chance with the "most goals" pick.

13. Jun 21, 2006 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A Swede's broken arm, a Brit's torn knee ligament, who cares, really?

14. Jun 22, 2006 #13
    It's odd we hadn't conceded a goal 'til this match and we looked strong at the back, then suddenly two goals, our defense looked weak but then we should have our best defenders back for the following matches and you can guarantee Sven will be working hard on this issue.

Losing Owen is a blow, but we have solid strikers to replace him, so it's not as bad as it seems, sad though, he had yet to make a real impact he must be gutted, and Liverpool will lose him for a deal of the next season. 5 months out is the prognosis:frown: or did I hear wrong?

15. Jun 22, 2006 #14
    You have 1 Striker to replace him, unless you count that 17 year old 'whoever', that hasnt even played a premiership match.. Man Sven is an idiot. Owen doesnt play for Liverpool, he plays for Newcastle, before that he was playing for Real Madrid. However before this he did indeed play for Liverpool...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?