English forums?

• Thread starter kant
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am interested in a forums similar to 'physics forum', but has more to do with the English language. I am looking to find a forum to help me with my english HW.

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
Oh dear. Well, I'm sure they have good intentions. :bugeye:

I hope this thread I just read isn't typical.

question from member -
Does anyone knows meaning of 'intruigue'

Somtimes I can see someone using this word 'intruiged'. I think this mean is same as 'intrigued'. Am I right? and which one is correct? intruiged or intrigued.

Answer from ADVANCED MEMBER - Nona the Brit -

Probably - they just can't spell.

:bugeye:

I think bush could use those forums:

From wikipedia:

wiki said:
While any public figure speaking in so many venues over time is prone to a few unflattering errors, the United States' President's regular use of incorrect grammatical constructions has some common characteristics that have given him a hallmark style:

Adding agentive endings to words not usually accustomed to such treatment, such as suiciders, game changer, and truth teller
Constructing neologisms such as tacular (a portmaneau of tactical and nuclear).
Occasional use of spoonerisms such as mexed missages (mixed messages) and terriers and bariffs (barriers and tariffs).
Splicing words together in incorrect combinations, such as misunderestimated and musta could've
Redundant or odd sentence construction, such as "We had a chance to visit with Teresa Nelson who's a parent, and a mom or a dad."
Slang or incorrect use of double negatives, as in "We've not got no better friend and ally than South Korea."
...sigh curious George.....

To be fair, I think the forum is to teach english to non native speakers.

cyrusabdollahi said:
To be fair, I think the forum is to teach english to non native speakers.
Yes, I'm just being irritable.

mattmns said:
Is the englishforums.com site that bad?

Here are some thread titles from physicsforums.com

"Hello, please pronounce this word"
"Problem I must solve"
"quick question"
"I don't get it"

And, imo, physicsforums.com is a great site.
The quality of the mentorship seems to have gone up since I joined but the quality of the members has taken a steep nose dive. I have no idea why, but the place only seems to be attracting highly discombobulated people lately.

It used to be that really a really cool new person showed up at least once a week, and they'd stick around. Now it seems like some really irritating new person shows up once a week and sticks around.

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Why don't you guys post your questions in the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148 [Broken] forum here at PF? I so could have answered meteor's question.

kant,
Is your class about the English language or about English literature and history? If it's about language, I should be able to help you with all parts of it.

Last edited by a moderator: