Does every natural number n being even and prime imply that there is a unique n?

In summary, the statement "there is a unique natural number n which is both even and prime" is not true.
cragar

Homework Statement

Express the following English sentence as a symbolic statement.
Do not use the there exist symbol
“There is a unique natural number n which is both even and prime.”

We also have properties like
let P(n) be the property that n is prime, L(n, m) the relation that n < m, and E(n) the property that n is even.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \forall n (E(n) and P(n) and n<3) [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I'm under-thinking this: 2.

It doesn't convey all the information of the original, but any sentence that does will evaluate to 2. And most will reduce to 2 as well.

cragar said:

Homework Statement

Express the following English sentence as a symbolic statement.
Do not use the there exist symbol
“There is a unique natural number n which is both even and prime.”

We also have properties like
let P(n) be the property that n is prime, L(n, m) the relation that n < m, and E(n) the property that n is even.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \forall n (E(n) and P(n) and n<3) [/itex]

What about first changing the English version into saying what is not true?

I interpret your symbolic statement (attempted solution) to mean: all natural numbers are even, prime and less than 3.

cragar said:
"There is ..."
How do you write that in symbols?

Would it work to say that [itex] n \in \mathbb{N} [/itex]
[itex] n \in \mathbb{N} : (P(n) \& E(n)) [/itex]

cragar said:
Would it work to say that [itex] n \in \mathbb{N} [/itex]
[itex] n \in \mathbb{N} : (P(n) \& E(n)) [/itex]
No, you must represent "there is" somehow. Are you not aware of a symbol for that?

the only symbol I am aware of is there exists [itex] \exists [/itex] but we were told tonot use it in the problem.
Im not sure of a symbol for that

cragar said:
the only symbol I am aware of is there exists [itex] \exists [/itex] but we were told tonot use it in the problem.
Im not sure of a symbol for that
Sorry, I overlooked that.
In that case, as others have suggested, you can get around it by making explicit reference to that number. One part of your answer will express that 2 has these properties. What will the rest of your answer state?

It seems an obvious approach to me that if you're given a statement "there exists ..." and you're told not to use the ##\exists## symbol, then the first step is to rephrase the statement to avoid the phrase "there exists". That, it seems to me, is logical!

As a start, you could think of a statement like "not all primes are odd". This starts to take you in the right direction, I believe.

1. What is the purpose of translating English into logic statements?

The purpose of translating English into logic statements is to make complex ideas and arguments more precise and concise. This translation process allows for a formal and rigorous analysis of the logical structure of a sentence or argument, which can reveal any flaws or fallacies in reasoning.

2. How is English translated into logic statements?

English is translated into logic statements using a formal system of symbols and rules. This system, known as symbolic logic or formal logic, assigns symbols to different elements of a sentence, such as propositions, connectives, and quantifiers. These symbols are then combined according to specific rules to represent the logical relationships between the elements of the sentence.

3. What are the benefits of translating English into logic statements?

The benefits of translating English into logic statements include increasing clarity and precision in communication, identifying and correcting errors in reasoning, and facilitating mathematical and scientific analysis. It also allows for a more objective and systematic approach to understanding and evaluating arguments.

4. Are there any limitations to translating English into logic statements?

Yes, there are some limitations to translating English into logic statements. For one, not all ideas and concepts can be easily translated into symbolic logic. There are also variations in different systems of formal logic, which can lead to different interpretations of the same sentence. Additionally, symbolic logic does not take into account the emotional or rhetorical aspects of language, which can be important in some contexts.

5. How can one improve their skills in translating English into logic statements?

Improving skills in translating English into logic statements requires practice and familiarity with the rules and symbols of formal logic. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of English grammar and sentence structure, as well as the ability to identify and analyze the logical structure of arguments. Reading and studying examples of translated statements can also aid in improving skills in this area.