English/technical writing help

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary: The voltage range of the analog signal to be received by the analog input channel must be within the analog input channel operating voltage range rating. The analog channel's input voltage range must be observed.
david90
Does this sentence make sense and is there a better way to say it?

"Digital I/O modules have a variety of operating voltage range. "

what I'm trying to say is that there are different digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range rating.

Physics news on Phys.org
there are different digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range.

This sounds pretty good. You might try saying "various digital I/O modules" instead of "different."

Your original attempt is not even grammatically correct. At the very least, you should have "ranges". But it's still confusing, even when you correct the grammar.

david90 said:
Does this sentence make sense and is there a better way to say it?

"Digital I/O modules have a variety of operating voltage range. "what I'm trying to say is that there are different digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range rating.
It seems that if you have to state it more clearly separately so we understand what you mean, the original sentence should just be replaced by the clarified sentence, i.e.:

"There are different digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range rating."

A pet hate of mine is using the same word twice in a sentence ('different' in this case). How about:

"There are a variety of digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range."

"Digital IO modules can operate over different voltage ranges."

To be honest, I don't even like the word different for technical writing, it's really vague. I don't have the full context here, but how about a word like 'distinct'. It sounds smart.

Adyssa said:
"There are a variety of digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range."
You have an error here. See what it is?

'are' should be 'is' I think.

Adyssa said:
'are' should be 'is' I think.

Yup.

I got another question.

Is there another way to rewrite this sentence?
"The voltage range of the analog signal to be received by the analog input channel must be within the analog input channel operating voltage range rating."

"The analog channel's input voltage range must be observed."

1. What is technical writing?

Technical writing is a form of writing that conveys complex information in a clear and concise manner. It is used in various industries, such as technology, engineering, and medicine, to communicate technical concepts to a specific audience.

2. Why is technical writing important?

Technical writing is important because it helps to bridge the gap between technical experts and non-technical audiences. It ensures that complex information is easily understood and can be effectively used by the intended audience. It also helps in maintaining consistency and accuracy in documentation.

3. What are the key elements of technical writing?

The key elements of technical writing include clarity, conciseness, organization, accuracy, and accessibility. These elements ensure that the information is presented in a logical and easy-to-understand manner, and that it is free from errors and jargon.

4. What are some common mistakes in technical writing?

Some common mistakes in technical writing include using overly complex language, not considering the audience, lack of organization, and insufficient proofreading. It is important to keep in mind that technical writing is meant to simplify complex information, not make it more difficult to understand.

5. How can I improve my technical writing skills?

One way to improve technical writing skills is to practice regularly and receive feedback from others. It is also helpful to study and analyze well-written technical documents to understand the structure and language used. Taking courses or workshops on technical writing can also be beneficial.