1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

English units conversions

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello guys,

I just have a very quick question about English units. On my fluids homework, I got the answer 9714.806 slugs*ft/(s^2) which seems to be right according to the solutions manual. The homework problem is asking for the force , and the solution manual is dividing 9714.806 slugs*ft/(s^2) by 1.059 (lb*s^2)/(slug*ft) to get an answer of 9714 lb. Why is this right? I thought Slugs*ft/(s^2) = lbf.

Thank you for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We really can't answer all your questions unless you post your HW.

1 lbf = 1 slug-s2 / ft

In more familiar F = ma terms, slugs = lbf / g, and g = 32.174 ft/s2

I don't recognize the factor 1.059 lb-s2 / (slug-ft), unless it's some weird density unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(mass)

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3
    Hello Steamking,

Thanks for the reply,

The homework problem is the following.

Upon landing, airplanes exhaust the air from the engine through a reverse thrust mechanism in order to slow the plane. In this configuration, air flows into the jet engine shown at a rate of 9 slugs/s and a speed of 300 ft/s. Upon landing, the engine exhaust exits through the reverse thrust mechanism with a speed of in the direction indicated. Determine the reverse thrust applied by the engine to the airplane. Assume that the inlet and exit pressures are atmospheric and that the mass flow rate of fuel is negligible compared to the air flow rate through the engine

I was able to derived the equation for the reverse thrust :

300*9 + 900*cos(30)*4.5 + 900*cos(30)*4.5 = 9714 slugs*ft/(s^2)

Which seems to be right according to the solutions manual . However, I don't understand why they are dividing 9714 slugs*ft/(s^2) by 1.059 (lb*s^2)/(slug*ft) .

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted