1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Enhancers and response elements

1. What is the difference exactly? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. iansmith

iansmith 1,430
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here the definition:

Enhancers
    http://fred.hmc.psu.edu/ds/retrieve/fred/meshdescriptor/D020218

responce elements
    http://www.geneed.com/glossary/r/index.html

The differemce are not easy to see because they sound the same but the specificity is important. A responce element can have a role in repression of a gene whereas enhancers only stimulates the production. Responce elements are only upstream of a gene and will have a effect on the binding and action of RNA polymerase.

4. Monique

Monique 4,700
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why are response elements only upstream? According to the link response elements can both be in the promotor and enhancer regions, enhancer regions can both be up or downstream of a promotor.. :)

For instance: if a molecule binds downstream and causes the DNA to loop a certain way, the polymerase can't go further and will be released. That is how stop signals in bacteria work right?

5. I don't know, but in my field enhancers can also repress. They sometimes call them repressors, but sometimes not. It is all about combinatorial control anyway.

6. iansmith

iansmith 1,430
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

my mistake, should of said mostly

Yeah but the gene has been transcribed whereas with these elements will stop or increase expression.

7. Monique

Monique 4,700
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just giving proof of concept if such elements were somewhere within a gene, a truncated product will be synthesized and rapidly degraded..

8. Monique

Monique 4,700
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. That does look good. If you don't get it let me know.

10. Monique

Monique 4,700
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4pm: It printed!!!!! Stupid computers here..

Hm, this article looks usefull :) I'll try to stay awake in the train this time..

ps. how do they get an article to be 4 Mb????? The figures are only 55 kb each.. crazy.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?