Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enjoyable Enigmas

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1
    Okay, this thread is for all the puzzle-buffs in the forum. Post any puzzle, problem, whodunnits, cryptograms or any darned thing that requires out-of-box thinking to solve; Provided of course you know the answer yourself. No Googling!!!
    I will go first.:biggrin:

This code is a message for the guy who solves it first:
    YY U R, YY U B,
    I C U R YY 4 me.

Hint:

T=tea, Q=que

Mr.E

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

drizzle

Gold Member

This supposed to be a message for a guy.. And you got me here... Misogynist. *leaves*

4. Aug 21, 2013 #3
    Misogynist- hmm... perhaps a bit albeit subconsciously(working on it)...Conciously though I am apathetic to both sexes. I would edit the offending phrase but for some reason i can't :confused: don't know why edit's not working.
    Sorry:(

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  5. Aug 21, 2013 #4
    Come on PFers!
    Really no-one?

6. Aug 22, 2013 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

So, are we supposed to fit other letters instead of the Ys to get the message?

This is not hard.. Come on guys, you can do it. :biggrin:

7. Aug 23, 2013 #6
    Nope. Every letter(s) signifies a word.

8. Aug 23, 2013 #7

drizzle

Gold Member

Yes, I see that, except for the Ys, it doesn't make sense with double Y... wait

9. Aug 23, 2013 #8

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Twice you are, twice you be,
    I see you are twice for me.

Or is that "twice for Emmy"?

They call my grandniece Emmy. I imagine it's short for Emmeline, or something.

10. Aug 23, 2013 #9
    Getting Close!!!
    Try something else for YY.

11. Aug 23, 2013 #10

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Wise you are, wise you be,
    I see you are wise for Emmy.

:tongue2:

12. Aug 23, 2013 #11

drizzle

Gold Member

13. Aug 23, 2013 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Disregard anything I post, I could have sworn I was in random thoughts.

14. Aug 23, 2013 #13

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Try "too wise" throughout and "for me" at the end.

15. Aug 23, 2013 #14
    Yep, that is correct. By the way great signature Om ; almost mistook it for gibberish.
    Ans. Too wise you are, too wise you be. I see you are too wise for me!
    Here's the next one :
    You have got a cake. Cut it into 8 pieces with three cuts of a knife only.

16. Aug 23, 2013 #15

drizzle

Gold Member

Make a crose, then cut it horizontally. :p

17. Aug 24, 2013 #16

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I know this one, I came up with the same answer when first asked; and yet I hate the answer because it's just no fair to get a bottom piece without the nice frosting. A bottom piece is not a real piece. :yuck:

I'm suffering through what I think is a bout of gluten-intolerance, so I'm off it for the moment to see how I feel - shouldn't think about cake - arrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! :grumpy:

18. Aug 24, 2013 #17
    Once upon a time, in the faraway kingdom of Enigmania (:tongue2:) the king decides its time for him to choose a suitable groom for his daughter. Four princes approach the king vying for the hand of the princess. In order to choose the best among the four suitors the king and the princess arrange a test: the suitors are brought to a large rectangular hall. The floor is covered with a carpet all over except at the corners- where there are four squares of bare floor and the suitors are told to stand at these corner. Each suitor takes a corner and stands there while the princess stands at the center of the hall. The king then proclaims the prince who without leaving their respective squares shall put a ring on the princess's hand will be declared to be the bridegroom of his daughter and the heir to Enigmania. No ropes or rods are allowed. How does the winner succeed in this trial?

(Why am I the only one posting questions? Come on PFers, I could use some brainstorming too...)

19. Aug 24, 2013 #18

drizzle

Gold Member

Cause it's Enjoyable 'Enigmas'. :tongue:

Is any of the princes an illusionist? :biggrin:

20. Aug 24, 2013 #19
    Nope...

21. Aug 24, 2013 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That might be a fun game. All but one of those quotes were based on comments made on this forum.
    Who said it, and what was the original quote?

lisab will definitely remember hers. I find that Integral used his phrase twice.

I can't find the post that inspired the "Music" quote, but I'm pretty sure it was Borek's fault.
    It is abbreviated, as are all the quotes.

I think there are a total of 7 quotes intertwined. The first two lines of the Haiku contain 4 quotes.

Ha! It's a quantum signature. It has color, a bit of spin, definitely poly-dimensional, and no one really understands it. :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook