Researching Online: Is Wikipedia Adequate?

• Thread starter vague
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wikipedia
In summary, the conversation discusses the adequacy of sources like wikipedia.org and similar websites for information and research purposes. While some believe that these sources are sufficient for general information, they are not suitable for in-depth research such as a Ph.D. program. However, they can be useful for background information and as a starting point to find reputable references. Ultimately, it is important to evaluate the credibility of the sources and use them appropriately for specific purposes.
vague
Do you think sources like wikipedia.org and similar websites are adequate for information and research?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would say for infomation yes, for research no. In terms of information, wiki is pretty detailed for example in certain mathematics (only Wolframs site bests it)

Research requires you to extrapolate with he existing data. So therefore, in a real research program like a Ph.d, no. But for something little like school science essays, its is quite valid.

yes they are. just because they are world editable does not mean the information is not accurate.

Sure, I would not use an article that is in dispute (which is clearly stated) but for technical research it is fantastic. Also, I would not use Wikipedia for doing anything but background information as to what something is (but then isn't that what encyclopedias are for in the first place?)

I think for background research, in which you would use an encyclopedia for anyway, wikipedia is fine for a Ph.d. level, what I would not use it for is research for work that has been done for things such as a thesis (though it might have some interesting external links that might help you out in that respect.

Last edited:
Personally, I use wikipedia as an index. I'll never cite it, but the information contained in its articles should include references. So I'll look up those references, and if they're reputable and peer-reviewed, I'll cite those. It's good means to point you in a certain direction and to give you an overview of the topic you're researching.

For technical info its ok. Not as in depth as perhaps you need, but the all the technical info I have come across is typically of a good quality

What is Wikipedia?

Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia that allows users to freely create and edit articles on a wide range of topics. It is one of the most popular websites in the world and is often the first source people turn to for information.

Is Wikipedia a reliable source for research?

It depends on the context and purpose of your research. While Wikipedia can be a useful starting point for gathering general information, it is not considered a reliable source for academic or scientific research. This is because anyone can edit the content on Wikipedia, which can lead to inaccuracies and biased information.

How can I use Wikipedia in my research?

You can use Wikipedia as a starting point for gathering general information on a topic, but it should not be used as a primary source. Instead, you can use the references and sources cited at the bottom of Wikipedia articles to find more reliable and credible sources for your research.

What are the benefits of using Wikipedia in research?

Wikipedia can provide a quick and easy overview of a topic, as well as links to other sources and references that can be used in your research. It also allows you to gain a general understanding of a topic before delving into more in-depth and reliable sources.

What are the limitations of using Wikipedia in research?

As mentioned before, Wikipedia should not be used as a primary source for research due to its open editing system and potential for inaccuracies. It also may not be the most comprehensive or in-depth source of information on a particular topic, as it is constantly evolving and may not cover all aspects or perspectives of a subject.