Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enstrophy measure

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing some work and keep coming across Enstrophy. Wikipedia gives a description that provides some insight, however I was hoping that someone could explain why its a measure that is used and what does it tell us?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2
    If we had a vector field, take for example a field that denotes the velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] of a fluid at every point throughout the fluid, then the vorticity [itex]\vec{\omega}[/itex] is defined as the curl of the velocity, i.e., [itex]\vec{\omega}:=\nabla\times\vec{v}[/itex]. The enstrophy is defined as the mean square of the of the vorticity.

An incompressible fluid can be described entirely by its vorticity field. In other words, we can characterize a fluid's motion entirely by specifying exactly how much it circulates around every point [instead of specifying its velocity at each point]. Enstrophy is a useful concept when we work with vorticity fields: e.g. enstrophy is a conserved quantity when a fluid has no dissipation or external driving forces.

Here's a good reference: http://physics.aps.org/articles/v4/20

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  4. Sep 12, 2013 #3
    Thanks Jolb,

It makes sense in relation to vector fields!

Now I can continue to read this paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook