What would happen if entangled particles experienced the twin paradox scenario?

• Thread starter mirhagk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary: It is more likely that the collapse is a result of both observers' measurements, rather than just one's. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using entangled particles to alter the passage of time and communicate between different reference frames. However, it is determined that there is no way to manipulate the outcomes in a predictable manner, and any potential communication would not be faster-than-light and therefore not violate causality. Additionally, the question of which observer is responsible for the collapse of the wave function is raised, but ultimately it is concluded that it is likely a result of both observers' measurements.
mirhagk
Okay so everyone is probably familiar with the twin paradox. Basically my question is what would happen if 2 entangled particles somehow underwent a similar scenario? Would they become untangled, or would they remain tangled, and somehow experience time at a different rate then their surrounding?

This has stumped me, but I'm not even sure if it's possible, if anyone knows can they explain, and if not, I'd love to hear anyone's ideas, or suggestions as to what would happen. Please feel free to discuss what would happen.

Physics news on Phys.org
mirhagk said:
Okay so everyone is probably familiar with the twin paradox. Basically my question is what would happen if 2 entangled particles somehow underwent a similar scenario? Would they become untangled, or would they remain tangled, and somehow experience time at a different rate then their surrounding?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, mirhagk!

In principle: you could accelerate an entangled electron and take it somewhere and return it to be with its twin. If you could find a way to do that without causing collapse (which would probably be nearly impossible), then yes, their time experience would be different.

Not sure that would change anything observable about it however. Electrons don't age, even though I seem to.

First thank you for replying, second, wouldn't that allow you to alter the one, changing the other, even when they are under different times? That would allow for inter time communication, which seems to defy causality.

mirhagk said:
First thank you for replying, second, wouldn't that allow you to alter the one, changing the other, even when they are under different times? That would allow for inter time communication, which seems to defy causality.

Although observing one (Alice) appears to force the other (Bob) to instantaneously take on a specific value of an observable, there is no way to send a message that way. As to causality, there is no way to determine if it is Alice doing something to Bob, or vice versa. The ordering does not change the outcomes in any discernible manner.

Really? Lol my physics teachers all lied to me. I was under the impression that you could do some sort of communication with entanglement, but apparently I was mistaken. I guess it has to do with not being able to make it fall into a specific value, while the teachers were probably convinced that in the future you could.

Thank you very much for helping me out. This is a great site.

mirhagk said:
Really? Lol my physics teachers all lied to me. I was under the impression that you could do some sort of communication with entanglement, but apparently I was mistaken. I guess it has to do with not being able to make it fall into a specific value, while the teachers were probably convinced that in the future you could.

Thank you very much for helping me out. This is a great site.

You're welcome! And you are right about the specific value deal, each person would see some random eigenvalue - which cannot be manipulated in advance.

You "can" actually communicate with entanglement, but the only real benefit from it is that you can always tell when someone is listening in on your conversation, which you cannot do with classical forms of communication. This does not involve faster-than light signal propagation though, so there is no causality problem.

When you observe an entangled state, the other particle will immediately collapse to a state which you know, which is then observed at some later time t (before you could tell the other observer what you saw). The following question is some food for thought:
which observer is "responsible" for the wave function collapse, if you could just as easily have switched reference frames to one where the (erstwhile) second observer actually observes first? How does one entangled electron "know" what spin its partner is observed to have?

Also, it is worth mentioning that you could actually use entanglement to send signals back in time if it were possible to copy quantum states: if you measure the spin of one electron, and then another person makes many copies of the other electron (which is now in a definite state), then the other person will know if you measured the spin or not. If you instead choose not to measure the spin, then the other person, after copying the electron, will tend to observe an equal number up or down. Fortunately, it is impossible to copy quantum states (a result known as the no-clone theorem).

Last edited:
Couchyam said:
The following question is some food for thought:
which observer is "responsible" for the wave function collapse, if you could just as easily have switched reference frames to one where the (erstwhile) second observer actually observes first?

There is no known difference in the outcomes due to ordering. Therefore, assigning one observer to be the cause of the collapse is arbitrary.

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This means that measuring or changing the state of one particle will instantaneously affect the state of the other particle, even if they are light-years apart.

2. What is the causality paradox in relation to entanglement?

The causality paradox is a theoretical problem that arises from entanglement. It questions the fundamental principle of causality, which states that an effect cannot occur before its cause. In entanglement, it seems that the state of one particle is being affected by the state of the other particle before any interaction or communication takes place between them, which challenges our understanding of cause and effect.

3. How do scientists explain the causality paradox?

There are several proposed explanations for the causality paradox in relation to entanglement. One theory is that there is no true violation of causality in entanglement, but rather a new understanding of the relationship between space and time. Another theory is that there are hidden variables at play that we are not yet aware of, which could explain the apparent violation of causality. However, the causality paradox remains a topic of ongoing debate and research in the scientific community.

4. Can entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, entanglement cannot be used for faster-than-light communication. While it may seem that entangled particles can communicate instantaneously, there is no way to control or manipulate the state of one particle to send a message to the other. Any attempt to do so would result in the destruction of the entanglement, making it impossible to use for communication.

5. What practical applications does entanglement have?

Entanglement has many potential practical applications, particularly in the field of quantum computing. It has the potential to greatly increase the speed and efficiency of information processing, as well as improve security in data transmission. Entanglement is also being studied for potential use in quantum teleportation and quantum cryptography.