Are Input Photons #2 and #3 Still Entangled After Going Through a Beam Splitter?

In summary, the conversation discusses entangled photons and their outputs when sent through a beam splitter. It is unclear whether photons #2 and #3 would remain entangled with each other or with their original partner. The question also arises about why certain parts of the state are not present and if they get canceled out.
StevieTNZ
In regards to the attached image;

If the input photons were, for input b = photon #2, and for input c = photon #3, where:
photon #1 and #2, and #3 and #4 are entangled as |H>|V> + |V>|H>,

for the outputs:|H>(b’)|H>(b’) - |V>(b’)|V>(b’) + |H>(c’)|H>(c’) - |V>(c’)|V>(c’) + H(b’)|V>(c’) - |V>(b’)|H>(c’) (Not sure if I got the + and – signs correct?)

in the case of getting the outputs |H>(b’)|H>(b’) - |V>(b’)|V>(b’) + |H>(c’)|H>(c’) - |V>(c’)|V>(c’), would photons #2 and #3 be entangled with each other? Or would they remain entangled with their original partner?

So up until the actual detection of H(b’)|V>(c’) - |V>(b’)|H>(c’) (one specific bell-state) - or once that basis state is created when the photons entangle with the final detectors at the end output - the photons remain entangled with the original partner?

would the above be the same if photons #1 and #2, and #3 and #4 were entangled as |H>|V> - |V>|H>?

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
You send one photon of each entangled pair through a (non-polarizing) beam splitter?
Why don't you get parts like H(b’)>|V(b’)>?

Why don't you look at each photon individually? If they are not entangled in some way, I would not expect anything special from using both at the same time.

mfb said:
You send one photon of each entangled pair through a (non-polarizing) beam splitter?
And they reach the beam splitter at zero delay.

Why don't you get parts like H(b’)>|V(b’)>?
Well, I don't know. Perhaps you can shed some light on this?

Well, you left them out in your state, and I ask why you did this.

My guess is they get canceled out.

What is entanglement at a beam splitter?

Entanglement at a beam splitter is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two particles interact and become entangled, meaning their states are linked and cannot be described independently of each other.

How does entanglement at a beam splitter occur?

Entanglement at a beam splitter occurs when two particles are sent through a beam splitter, which splits the particles into two paths. The particles then become entangled as they exit the beam splitter and continue on their separate paths.

What is the significance of entanglement at a beam splitter?

Entanglement at a beam splitter is significant because it allows for the creation of quantum networks, where particles can communicate and share information instantaneously, regardless of their distance apart.

Can entanglement at a beam splitter be observed in real life?

Yes, entanglement at a beam splitter has been observed in various experiments. For example, the famous Bell test experiments have shown that entanglement at a beam splitter is a real and measurable phenomenon.

What are the potential applications of entanglement at a beam splitter?

Entanglement at a beam splitter has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum cryptography. It could also be used for secure communication and teleportation of information.