Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entanglement instead of inflation

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    Might quantum entanglement explain the cosmological constant, isotropy, flatness, magnetic monopole and horizon problems? Instead of inflation introducing a phase change that caused an exponential expansion in the early universe, perhaps entanglement has maintained a statistical causality throughout the evolution of the cosmos.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2
    The problem of 'the quantum', is that:http://www.joot.com/dave/writings/articles/entanglement/

is only just being realized, quantum entanglement:http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/8/6/18

has only recently gone through its early calibration phase experiments.

There may be tests in the near fututre, that will clarify what is 'real' and what is 'entangled' reality?

4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    Maybe that's a bit too much to ask from it? :smile:

Loren Booda brings up an issue I am interested in, namely has quantum entanglement been taken into account when explaining the early universe?

5. Jul 12, 2005 #4

ohwilleke

Gold Member

My thoughts exactly. It would take a lot more exposition to get me there.

6. Jul 12, 2005 #5
    Entanglement provides a non-local, superluminal alternative to inflation over the course of the universe. Such effect is the basis for many of the aforementioned inflationary phenomena (cosmological constant, isotropy, flatness, magnetic monopole and horizon problems). Can you think of a comparable alternative property? (Aside: my website below in its first article introduces primally correlated, "inside-out" dimensions as one such possibility.)

7. Jul 12, 2005 #6

JesseM

Science Advisor

I think a basic rule about entanglement is that if you do local measurements on one part of an entangled system, you shouldn't see anything different than you'd see if the particles you measured were not entangled--you only see signs of entanglement when you measure every single particle in the system. If this wasn't true, entanglement could be used for FTL communication. Based on this, the idea of explaining any properties of one local region of space in terms of entanglement with other distant regions wouldn't seem to make sense.

8. Jul 13, 2005 #7

hellfire

Science Advisor

But to have a non-local collapse of the wavefunction with an instantaneous correlation you have to spatially sepparate the two components (particles) of the quantum system. This can be only done at speeds below the speed of light or with the expansion of space.

9. Jul 14, 2005 #8
    Can inverse dimensions, entangled since the big bang with those of conventional phase space or spacetime, provide a continuity to an otherwise non-locality that enables the anomalies associated with inflation?

10. Jun 10, 2008 #9

I don't see how inflation solves the problem with the spatial distance between two ends of the universe. As I understand it, the horizon problem includes the "fact" that parts of the universe are out of each-others sphere of influence because they are separated by a distance that could not be achieved at the speed of light.

11. Jun 10, 2008 #10

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see no reason to resurrect a nearly 3 year old thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?