Entanglement instead of inflation

  • #1
3,077
4
Might quantum entanglement explain the cosmological constant, isotropy, flatness, magnetic monopole and horizon problems? Instead of inflation introducing a phase change that caused an exponential expansion in the early universe, perhaps entanglement has maintained a statistical causality throughout the evolution of the cosmos.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
374
0
Loren Booda said:
Might quantum entanglement explain the cosmological constant, isotropy, flatness, magnetic monopole and horizon problems? Instead of inflation introducing a phase change that caused an exponential expansion in the early universe, perhaps entanglement has maintained a statistical causality throughout the evolution of the cosmos.
The problem of 'the quantum', is that:http://www.joot.com/dave/writings/articles/entanglement/

is only just being realized, quantum entanglement:http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/8/6/18

has only recently gone through its early calibration phase experiments.

There may be tests in the near fututre, that will clarify what is 'real' and what is 'entangled' reality?
 
  • #3
238
0
Might quantum entanglement explain the cosmological constant, isotropy, flatness, magnetic monopole and horizon problems?
Maybe that's a bit too much to ask from it? :smile:

Loren Booda brings up an issue I am interested in, namely has quantum entanglement been taken into account when explaining the early universe?
 
  • #4
ohwilleke
Gold Member
1,563
450
Berislav said:
Maybe that's a bit too much to ask from it? :smile:
My thoughts exactly. It would take a lot more exposition to get me there.
 
  • #5
3,077
4
Entanglement provides a non-local, superluminal alternative to inflation over the course of the universe. Such effect is the basis for many of the aforementioned inflationary phenomena (cosmological constant, isotropy, flatness, magnetic monopole and horizon problems). Can you think of a comparable alternative property? (Aside: my website below in its first article introduces primally correlated, "inside-out" dimensions as one such possibility.)
 
  • #6
JesseM
Science Advisor
8,496
13
I think a basic rule about entanglement is that if you do local measurements on one part of an entangled system, you shouldn't see anything different than you'd see if the particles you measured were not entangled--you only see signs of entanglement when you measure every single particle in the system. If this wasn't true, entanglement could be used for FTL communication. Based on this, the idea of explaining any properties of one local region of space in terms of entanglement with other distant regions wouldn't seem to make sense.
 
  • #7
hellfire
Science Advisor
1,047
1
Loren Booda said:
Entanglement provides a non-local, superluminal alternative to inflation over the course of the universe. Such effect is the basis for many of the aforementioned inflationary phenomena (cosmological constant, isotropy, flatness, magnetic monopole and horizon problems). Can you think of a comparable alternative property? (Aside: my website below in its first article introduces primally correlated, "inside-out" dimensions as one such possibility.)
But to have a non-local collapse of the wavefunction with an instantaneous correlation you have to spatially sepparate the two components (particles) of the quantum system. This can be only done at speeds below the speed of light or with the expansion of space.
 
  • #8
3,077
4
Can inverse dimensions, entangled since the big bang with those of conventional phase space or spacetime, provide a continuity to an otherwise non-locality that enables the anomalies associated with inflation?
 
  • #9
10
0
But to have a non-local collapse of the wavefunction with an instantaneous correlation you have to spatially sepparate the two components (particles) of the quantum system. This can be only done at speeds below the speed of light or with the expansion of space.

I don't see how inflation solves the problem with the spatial distance between two ends of the universe. As I understand it, the horizon problem includes the "fact" that parts of the universe are out of each-others sphere of influence because they are separated by a distance that could not be achieved at the speed of light.
 
  • #10
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
3,563
1,344
I see no reason to resurrect a nearly 3 year old thread.
 

Related Threads on Entanglement instead of inflation

  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
3K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
797
Replies
4
Views
2K
Replies
19
Views
4K
Replies
2
Views
3K
Top