Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entering a superposition

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    Hi guys,

Quick question. Just started QM in class, and we discussed the double slit experiment. Im just a bit confused here. From what I understand, if just one electron is shot at the slits, it enters a superposition of states based on probabilities, and interferes with itself, resulting in an interference pattern on the screen (Stop me if I go wrong anywhere). However, if the electron is observed, then it cannot enter a superposition of states, and no interference pattern is formed. Why is this so? If it is because observing the electron (hitting it with a photon) disturbs it, then shouldnt background EM radiation do the same thing?

As I said, confused. Help me out?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

Nobody truly understands the double slit experiment and you are not going to get help on this issue here. If you want somebody's personal bias towards a perspective solution, that'd be another thing.

Read up on the interpretations of qm, as they attempt to provide a picture of what could be going on.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook