1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entering undergraduate studies in mathematics, what skills shall I acquire?

1. May 21, 2012 #1

set

I am starting my undergraduate studies this autumn in mathematics. I wish to pursue mathematics further and land on an academic position, but since I do realize the fact that these positions are extremely competitive to get, I am considering to become a software engineer. I won't have concerns in getting a job if I choose to rather get a masters degree in computer science, but if I do get a doctorate in mathematics, I won't have the foundation for computer science, (OS, data structures, algorithms, etc) and if I were to take those courses, our school makes me to pay extra tuition that is twice as expensive as a regular course. But I have heard of some people who got a software engineering job with a degree in mathematics and seen job postings that accept a degree in mathematics.

If that is the case, if I have a decade of experience in c++ programming, (since it will take more than 10 years to get a doctorate) but know next to nothing about operating systems, data structures, or algorithms, do I still can get a decent software engineering job?

Or what else should I know?
    What skills will behoove me to get a software engineering job?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted