Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entertainment of the future

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What qualifies as entertainment is a definition in flux. Vaudeville was once the rage but now seems comical for all the wrong reasons. Even television shows that I watched as a kid seem silly now; not to mention the free consolation prizes given away on one old show - a carton of Winston or Salem cigarettes! :rofl: As another point of contrast, consider Leave it to Beaver alongside reality TV. WOW! Things really have changed!!! Also, whereas movies began as nothing more than filmed stage productions, one is lucky now if the main character even exists outside of cyberspace. And the computer has changed everything and apparently will continue to influence our lives at the most basic levels. In fact, virtual reality promises to propel the human race itself into the universe of cyberspace.

So, being a closet futurist I often wonder where this will lead. If we assume that the world goes on pretty as it has, what will be the entertainment of the year 2100?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Holographic interactive role playing, you can be whom ever you want and act
    with whom ever you want, and the holograms are hard light so they feel real.
    now then who to play with tonight :biggrin:

4. Nov 4, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I can't see the 'hard light' thing ever happening, but a body suit such as for cybersex could be used in a holo-game situation. There are already tactile feedback gloves, if I'm not mistaken, and the sex suit is undergoing testing. (How does one get that job, I wonder? :tongue2: )
    I also expect that video technology will be presenting wall-size 3-D entertainment with surround sound.
    For sports freaks, I wonder if they might put telemetry units on football players and such like, that would broadcast the sensations of the game to audience members with cybersuits. (Kind of an extrapolation of the helmet cams that race drivers wear.)
    I can't imagine what weird directions programming might go in. With any luck, 'reality' shows will be nothing but a bitter memory. Cop, doctor and lawyer shows will probably never die, along with some form or other of game and talk shows.
    I'm gonna go think on this some more whilst perusing other threads.

5. Nov 4, 2005 #4
    100 years ago nobody would have been able to predict that we would be playing games on computers now...... so hmm

10 Years from now, I wonder...

6. Nov 4, 2005 #5
    The Running Man!:biggrin:

7. Nov 4, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

By Danger, I'm gonna go think on this some more whilst perusing other threads.

Please do not bother, your mind is just so out of kilter, it would make Salvador
    Dhali seem sane :rofl:

8. Nov 4, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Are you implying that he wasn't? :uhh:

9. Nov 4, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, I like that 3D idea. Mount a projector in the center of the ceiling, and turn your whole living room into a stage or arena where you have the appearance of attending a live performance, or feeling of sitting in the stands among the crowd.

Surround sound is now accompanied by surround view...the satellite projectors behind your couch give the illusion of the chase scene running right around you. Ooh, can you imagine watching a horror film like this? :biggrin:

Nobody can believe people used to have to go to all the trouble of pushing buttons on a remote to watch pictures move in a box. Now they just speak the commands to the arenavision.

All programming is on demand, no more missing shows because you had to go out, or someone else wanted to watch a different channel, like the grandparents tell us about...yep, right along with the walking to school in the snow uphill both ways stories. :rolleyes:

But, of course all of that is only for the rich who can still afford electricity and satellite provider fees. :tongue:

10. Nov 4, 2005 #9
    That is a pretty interesting idea, but instead I'd rather opt for a live 3d nature scene.

I am so going to confuse my children by telling them that cars didn't exist back in my day and that we used the horse and buggy method of transportation... in the snow.. uphill... both ways... :biggrin:

Oh, and yes the internet has changed everything. I remember hearing a few years ago that a few people got some media attention because they avoided contact with the outside world for an entire year and got all of their supplies on the internet. Now, the response seems to be more of a "meh so what? Anyone can do that now."

11. Nov 4, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Did anyone ever see that one xfiles episode with the virtual reality company that you can play real life video games in? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that looked sweet. I wish you could just, put on some sorta helmet and (as long as its safe) it makes a connection with your brain somehow :P and you can feel everything and play to your own real world abilities....

12. Nov 4, 2005 #11

So how would it be different from real life? :p

Real world abilities? pfft

I'd want to be a superhuman if it was possible, have a little fun...

13. Nov 4, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Whats so great about being some huge rambo dude that can do anything and easily defeat your opponents? Ever wondered how you would REALLY perform in such a situation? I've always wondered how well I'd perform if all of a sudden shots start going everywhere.

14. Nov 4, 2005 #13

Well, then you would have to feel pain, you would have to think you are about to die...etc

I have wondered too :redface:

15. Nov 4, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

yah see that'd be pretty awesome. Its REALLY about realism.

16. Nov 4, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Playing with a few ideas and trends here... I can imagine that virtual drugs will emerge in that methods of stimulating natural highs will be incorporated into virtual reality. So I can see this addicting most of the population much as a cross between illicit drugs and television or the internet, but affecting our daily lives and experiences fundamentally. If we can work, interact, travel, and even have sex and get high virtually, I find it hard to imagine that the real world will seem appealing to the masses. I can see virtual reality and reality merging into a new kind of semi-virtual world in which we will always be immersed. With this, I would think that entertainment will evolve into something very bizarre by our standards.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  17. Nov 4, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

God i hope a comet hits us before that....

holy crap... virtual reality potty training? Wheres moonbear and evo...

18. Nov 4, 2005 #17
    The Partridge Family, Part 2.....Keith Partridge (David Cassidy), my age now! I loved him.................that's what could be the next show of the future! lol.

19. Nov 4, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Instead of watching a TV show about the Grand Canyon, instead you feel as though you are actually flying like a bird through the GC.

20. Nov 4, 2005 #19
    It reminds me of the people who play online games like WOW and only stop to sleep(sometimes) and go to work if they absolutely need money.... Some of these people are so completely obsessed with the game, it's their actual reality now.

I hope it doesn't get much worse than it already is.

21. Nov 5, 2005 #20
    Holograms you can talk to

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?