What Will Entertainment Look Like in the Year 2100?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the conversation discusses the evolution of entertainment and how it has changed over the years. From vaudeville shows to reality TV to the potential of holographic interactive role playing in the future, the conversation explores the advancements in technology and the impact it has on entertainment. The possibility of virtual reality and its influence on our lives is also considered, with predictions of potential future forms of programming such as wall-size 3D entertainment and incorporating sensory technology into sports games. The conversation also touches on the idea of on-demand programming and the role of the internet in changing how we consume entertainment. The conversation concludes with a playful discussion about the potential of virtual reality to allow people to experience things beyond their own abilities and the desire to be a "super
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What qualifies as entertainment is a definition in flux. Vaudeville was once the rage but now seems comical for all the wrong reasons. Even television shows that I watched as a kid seem silly now; not to mention the free consolation prizes given away on one old show - a carton of Winston or Salem cigarettes! :rofl: As another point of contrast, consider Leave it to Beaver alongside reality TV. WOW! Things really have changed! Also, whereas movies began as nothing more than filmed stage productions, one is lucky now if the main character even exists outside of cyberspace. And the computer has changed everything and apparently will continue to influence our lives at the most basic levels. In fact, virtual reality promises to propel the human race itself into the universe of cyberspace.

So, being a closet futurist I often wonder where this will lead. If we assume that the world goes on pretty as it has, what will be the entertainment of the year 2100?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Holographic interactive role playing, you can be whom ever you want and act
with whom ever you want, and the holograms are hard light so they feel real.
now then who to play with tonight :biggrin:

I can't see the 'hard light' thing ever happening, but a body suit such as for cybersex could be used in a holo-game situation. There are already tactile feedback gloves, if I'm not mistaken, and the sex suit is undergoing testing. (How does one get that job, I wonder? :tongue2: )
I also expect that video technology will be presenting wall-size 3-D entertainment with surround sound.
For sports freaks, I wonder if they might put telemetry units on football players and such like, that would broadcast the sensations of the game to audience members with cybersuits. (Kind of an extrapolation of the helmet cams that race drivers wear.)
I can't imagine what weird directions programming might go in. With any luck, 'reality' shows will be nothing but a bitter memory. Cop, doctor and lawyer shows will probably never die, along with some form or other of game and talk shows.
I'm going to go think on this some more whilst perusing other threads.

100 years ago nobody would have been able to predict that we would be playing games on computers now... so hmm

10 Years from now, I wonder...

The Running Man!:biggrin:

By Danger, I'm going to go think on this some more whilst perusing other threads.

Please do not bother, your mind is just so out of kilter, it would make Salvador
Dhali seem sane :rofl:

Are you implying that he wasn't? :uhh:

Ooh, I like that 3D idea. Mount a projector in the center of the ceiling, and turn your whole living room into a stage or arena where you have the appearance of attending a live performance, or feeling of sitting in the stands among the crowd.

Surround sound is now accompanied by surround view...the satellite projectors behind your couch give the illusion of the chase scene running right around you. Ooh, can you imagine watching a horror film like this? :biggrin:

Nobody can believe people used to have to go to all the trouble of pushing buttons on a remote to watch pictures move in a box. Now they just speak the commands to the arenavision.

All programming is on demand, no more missing shows because you had to go out, or someone else wanted to watch a different channel, like the grandparents tell us about...yep, right along with the walking to school in the snow uphill both ways stories. :rolleyes:

But, of course all of that is only for the rich who can still afford electricity and satellite provider fees. :tongue:

Moonbear said:
Ooh, I like that 3D idea. Mount a projector in the center of the ceiling, and turn your whole living room into a stage or arena where you have the appearance of attending a live performance, or feeling of sitting in the stands among the crowd.

That is a pretty interesting idea, but instead I'd rather opt for a live 3d nature scene.

Moonbear said:
like the grandparents tell us about...yep, right along with the walking to school in the snow uphill both ways stories. :rolleyes:

I am so going to confuse my children by telling them that cars didn't exist back in my day and that we used the horse and buggy method of transportation... in the snow.. uphill... both ways... :biggrin:

Oh, and yes the internet has changed everything. I remember hearing a few years ago that a few people got some media attention because they avoided contact with the outside world for an entire year and got all of their supplies on the internet. Now, the response seems to be more of a "meh so what? Anyone can do that now."

Did anyone ever see that one xfiles episode with the virtual reality company that you can play real life video games in? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that looked sweet. I wish you could just, put on some sort of helmet and (as long as its safe) it makes a connection with your brain somehow :P and you can feel everything and play to your own real world abilities...

Pengwuino said:
Did anyone ever see that one xfiles episode with the virtual reality company that you can play real life video games in? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan that looked sweet. I wish you could just, put on some sort of helmet and (as long as its safe) it makes a connection with your brain somehow :P and you can feel everything and play to your own real world abilities...

So how would it be different from real life? :p

Real world abilities? pfft

I'd want to be a superhuman if it was possible, have a little fun...

moose said:
So how would it be different from real life? :p
Real world abilities? pfft

Whats so great about being some huge rambo dude that can do anything and easily defeat your opponents? Ever wondered how you would REALLY perform in such a situation? I've always wondered how well I'd perform if all of a sudden shots start going everywhere.

Pengwuino said:
Whats so great about being some huge rambo dude that can do anything and easily defeat your opponents? Ever wondered how you would REALLY perform in such a situation? I've always wondered how well I'd perform if all of a sudden shots start going everywhere.

Well, then you would have to feel pain, you would have to think you are about to die...etc

I have wondered too :redface:

moose said:
Well, then you would have to feel pain, you would have to think you are about to die...etc
I have wondered too :redface:

yah see that'd be pretty awesome. Its REALLY about realism.

Playing with a few ideas and trends here... I can imagine that virtual drugs will emerge in that methods of stimulating natural highs will be incorporated into virtual reality. So I can see this addicting most of the population much as a cross between illicit drugs and television or the internet, but affecting our daily lives and experiences fundamentally. If we can work, interact, travel, and even have sex and get high virtually, I find it hard to imagine that the real world will seem appealing to the masses. I can see virtual reality and reality merging into a new kind of semi-virtual world in which we will always be immersed. With this, I would think that entertainment will evolve into something very bizarre by our standards.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
If we can work, interact, travel, and even have sex and get high virtually, I find it hard to imagine that the real world will seem appealing to the masses. I can see virtual reality and reality merging into a new kind of semi-virtual world to which we will always be immersed.

God i hope a comet hits us before that...

holy crap... virtual reality potty training? Wheres moonbear and evo...

The Partridge Family, Part 2...Keith Partridge (David Cassidy), my age now! I loved him....that's what could be the next show of the future! lol.

Instead of watching a TV show about the Grand Canyon, instead you feel as though you are actually flying like a bird through the GC.

It reminds me of the people who play online games like WOW and only stop to sleep(sometimes) and go to work if they absolutely need money... Some of these people are so completely obsessed with the game, it's their actual reality now.

I hope it doesn't get much worse than it already is.

Holograms you can talk to

A laminatedevildoll in every home... :tongue2:

motai said:
That is a pretty interesting idea, but instead I'd rather opt for a live 3d nature scene.
Ever read "The Veldt" by Ray Bradbury? "George, I wish you'd look at the nursery." "What's wrong with it?" "I don't know." "Well, then." "I just want you to look at it" :bugeye:

I think I'll restrict my future entertainment to sitting around poking Ivan with sticks. :tongue:

Danger said:
I think I'll restrict my future entertainment to sitting around poking Ivan with sticks. :tongue:

What was it that you were drinking again? :rofl:

*passes sticks around*

Come on guys, its party time!

*pokes ivan* hey, this is pretty fun.

Low-tech rules.

Pengwuino said:
*passes sticks around*

Come on guys, its party time!
Heh, I'd pay for this! <pokes Ivan> :tongue2:

Ivan Seeking said:
Playing with a few ideas and trends here... I can imagine that virtual drugs will emerge in that methods of stimulating natural highs will be incorporated into virtual reality. So I can see this addicting most of the population much as a cross between illicit drugs and television or the internet, but affecting our daily lives and experiences fundamentally. If we can work, interact, travel, and even have sex and get high virtually, I find it hard to imagine that the real world will seem appealing to the masses. I can see virtual reality and reality merging into a new kind of semi-virtual world in which we will always be immersed. With this, I would think that entertainment will evolve into something very bizarre by our standards.
Either you are spending way too much time alone in your office out back, in which case, Tsu needs to take you our more often - or you're suffering from sleep deprivation. :rolleyes: Or perhaps both.

Astronuc said:
Either you are spending way too much time alone in your office out back, in which case, Tsu needs to take you our more often - or you're suffering from sleep deprivation. :rolleyes: Or perhaps both.

Or he's not getting his daily allowance of poking!

Astronuc said:

Mostly not my ideas.

Alright, if you're all going to be obnoxious I'm leaving. :tongue:

Ivan Seeking said:
Alright, if you're all going to be obnoxious I'm leaving. :tongue:
Noooo! Plus I agree with what you said, I think virtual reality will be the next drug. How do you control a drug like that?

Hey, I was only kidding.

As for virtual reality - PF is about as close as I'll get.

If I want to experience the Grand Canyon or any other natural wonder, I'd just as soon go there.

I seldom watch TV. There are many more interesting things to do.

As for entertainment - I seem to be a contrarian - I find my many things in reality entertaining: my work; mathematics and physics, and in general science and engineering; E-S and PF; my family; the animals who live with us; and Nature in general. I don't need, nor do I desire virtual reality.

Speaking of Nature - check out this creature who visited my backyard this evening - http://www.everything-science.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=82&topic=6549.msg58183#msg58183

I remember when once I had a dream where I didn't actually view things and all that, except I just thought... It was almost like normally thinking, but it was in a dream!

Once, I was thinking about lucid dreams, would you be able to grab a piece of paper and start solving a math problem?

Back