1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enthalpy and activation energy

1. Feb 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question is just for an overall understanding of enthalpy and activation. My book states that catalysts decrease the activation energy of a reaction. This makes sense. However, how does this change the enthalpy? If a catalyst creates a new pathway, wouldn't the enthalpy change be different as compared to the reaction without a catalyst? Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations
    NA

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It doesn't change the enthalpy of the reaction. It does change the activation enthalpy of the reaction.

Enthalpy of a reaction is the difference in enthalpies only between the initial and final states. Activation energy or activation enthalpy is the maximum energy change on the path the reaction takes between those initial and final states.

4. Feb 11, 2015 #3
    Oh I get it but let me be clear. Initial and final states (as defined by state functions) will be the same regardless if the reaction uses a catalyst. Thus Ea is lower but the ΔH for both will be the same?

5. Feb 11, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are cooking.

6. Feb 11, 2015 #5
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted