Enthelpy and activation energy statements

In summary, for a reversible reaction where the forward process is exothermic and the reverse process is endothermic, it can be concluded that (C) the activation energy will be greater for the forward reaction than for the reverse reaction must be true. This is because endothermic reactions typically require more energy input to reach the activation energy, while exothermic reactions require less.
brake4country

Homework Statement

For a particular reversible reaction, the forward process is exothermic and the reverse process is endothermic. Which of the following statements must be true about this reaction?
(A) The forward reaction will be spontaneous under standard conditions
(B) The reverse reaction will be spontaneous under standard conditions
(C) The activation energy will be greater for the forward reaction than for the reverse reaction
(D) The activation energy will be greater for the reverse reaction than for the forward reaction.

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

I eliminated B because if the reverse is endothermic, this will not be spontaneous. I chose the right answer (D) but I wanted to be sure my logic is on the right track. So, I assumed D must be correct because endothermic reactions require much more energy to force a reaction, whereas the forward exothermic reaction would require less.

Physics news on Phys.org
brake4country said:
must be true
Let's do them one at a time: why eliminate A?

A is wrong because it usually takes some energy input to make the reactants reach activation energy, which will then lead to products

"A is wrong," is a correct statement, but the activation energy argument doesn't hold water. There are reactions which may be strongly exothermic, but the Gibb's free energy will still be positive due to entropy of the reaction, and which will not be spontaneous (condensation of water vapor, freezing of liquid water, other such things). Enthalpy is a good clue for spontaneity, but is not sufficient of itself to guarantee spontaneity.

"B" you will have deduced can be spontaneous for an argument opposite to what I just gave you for "A," and since we're looking for "must be true," is also discarded.

So, now, what can you tell me about "C?"

1. What is enthalpy and how is it related to energy?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system. It includes both the internal energy of the system and the energy required to create or destroy the system's volume. Enthalpy is related to energy through the equation: Enthalpy = Internal Energy + Pressure x Volume.

2. What is activation energy and why is it important?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is important because it determines the rate at which a reaction will occur. Reactions with a higher activation energy require more energy to start and therefore occur at a slower rate.

3. How does temperature affect enthalpy and activation energy?

As temperature increases, so does the enthalpy and activation energy of a system. This is because at higher temperatures, particles move faster and collide more frequently, increasing the energy required for a reaction to occur.

4. Can enthalpy and activation energy be negative?

Yes, enthalpy and activation energy can be negative. A negative enthalpy indicates that the reaction releases energy, while a negative activation energy indicates that the reaction does not require much energy to occur.

5. How can enthalpy and activation energy be calculated or measured?

Enthalpy and activation energy can be calculated using thermodynamic equations or measured experimentally using calorimetry or other techniques. These measurements involve measuring the heat released or absorbed during a reaction and using that information to calculate the enthalpy and activation energy.