Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enthalpy and Heat State Functions

1. Feb 24, 2012 #1
    I'm sure this topic has been asked before so I'd be happy if you'd just direct me to the thread.
    I know U+PV=H and if the only work done is PV work then H=q-P∆V+P∆V=q. And I know that pressure must be constant. I also know that a state function is a function where the value of the function only depends on the change between the last and first states. I have 2 questions.
    1. If pressure were not constant wouldn't the PV work=0 and enthalpy would still equal q?
    2. I understand why enthalpy is a state function. The heat lost or gained only depends on the change between the first and last states. If enthalpy always equals q then why isn't q a state function? For example if 2 reactions happened one released 20 kJ of heat and one absorbed 10 kJ of heat the change in q or the heat lost or gained in the system is -20 kj + 10 kj =10 kJ lost.

I feel like my reasoning is probably off somewhere. Can someone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2
    dH = dU + pdV + Vdp

Only mechanical work (dU = δQ - pdV)

dH = δQ + Vdp

If p=constant

dH|p = δQ|p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook