Enthelpy and Heat State Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between enthalpy and heat, as well as the concept of state functions and the impact of constant pressure on enthalpy. The speaker also asks for clarification on whether q, the heat lost or gained in a system, can be considered a state function.
chem1234
I'm sure this topic has been asked before so I'd be happy if you'd just direct me to the thread.
I know U+PV=H and if the only work done is PV work then H=q-P∆V+P∆V=q. And I know that pressure must be constant. I also know that a state function is a function where the value of the function only depends on the change between the last and first states. I have 2 questions.
1. If pressure were not constant wouldn't the PV work=0 and enthalpy would still equal q?
2. I understand why enthalpy is a state function. The heat lost or gained only depends on the change between the first and last states. If enthalpy always equals q then why isn't q a state function? For example if 2 reactions happened one released 20 kJ of heat and one absorbed 10 kJ of heat the change in q or the heat lost or gained in the system is -20 kj + 10 kj =10 kJ lost.

I feel like my reasoning is probably off somewhere. Can someone help me please?

Science news on Phys.org
chem1234 said:
I'm sure this topic has been asked before so I'd be happy if you'd just direct me to the thread.
I know U+PV=H and if the only work done is PV work then H=q-P∆V+P∆V=q. And I know that pressure must be constant. I also know that a state function is a function where the value of the function only depends on the change between the last and first states. I have 2 questions.
1. If pressure were not constant wouldn't the PV work=0 and enthalpy would still equal q?
2. I understand why enthalpy is a state function. The heat lost or gained only depends on the change between the first and last states. If enthalpy always equals q then why isn't q a state function? For example if 2 reactions happened one released 20 kJ of heat and one absorbed 10 kJ of heat the change in q or the heat lost or gained in the system is -20 kj + 10 kj =10 kJ lost.

I feel like my reasoning is probably off somewhere. Can someone help me please?

dH = dU + pdV + Vdp

Only mechanical work (dU = δQ - pdV)

dH = δQ + Vdp

If p=constant

dH|p = δQ|p

1. What is Enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic quantity that represents the total energy of a system, including its internal energy and the amount of work required to change the system's volume at constant pressure.

2. How is Enthalpy measured?

Enthalpy is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical change.

3. What are some examples of Heat State Functions?

Some examples of heat state functions are enthalpy, entropy, and internal energy. These are thermodynamic quantities that depend only on the current state of a system and not on the path taken to reach that state.

4. How is Enthalpy related to Heat?

Enthalpy and heat are closely related, as enthalpy is a measure of the heat energy stored in a system. Enthalpy is equal to the internal energy of a system plus the product of pressure and volume.

5. Why are Enthalpy and Heat State Functions important?

Enthalpy and heat state functions are important because they allow us to understand and predict changes in a system's energy and temperature, and to design and optimize processes for maximum efficiency.