Understanding Enthalpy and Temperature in Ideal Gas Systems

In summary, the concept of enthalpy applies to ideal gases and can be calculated using the formula H = U + nRT, where U is the internal energy, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. However, for non-monatomic ideal gases, the specific heat will depend on temperature and can be calculated using the formulas cv = du/dT and cp = dh/dT. The ideal gas law does not work well for complex gases, such as R-134a.
Rizer
I know enthalpy

H = U + PV

and for ideal gas, PV = nRT so it becomes

H = U + nRT

However, U = 3NkT/2 = 3nRT/2 for ideal gas as well.

So why is it incorrect to put

H = 3nRT/2 + nRT ??

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Rizer said:
I know enthalpy

H = U + PV

H = U + nRT

H = 3nRT/2 + nRT ??

Thanks
It is correct for a monatomic ideal gas (only).

AM

Thanks Andrew, but what about using H = 5nRT/2 + nRT or H = 7nRT/2 + nRT etc. for ideal gases made up of molecules?

Rizer said:
Thanks Andrew, but what about using H = 5nRT/2 + nRT or H = 7nRT/2 + nRT etc. for ideal gases made up of molecules?
For non-monatomic ideal gas, the specific heat will depend upon temperature. A diatomic ideal gas will have a Cv of 5R/2 at temperatures below around 1000K but as temperatures increase the Cv increases and eventually reaches 7R/2

AM

But why does the graphs of Enthalpy usually depends on both T and P? Is it solely because the gas is not an ideal gas??

The Enthalpy graph I found:
http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/haugwarb/Phase_diagrams_and_thermodynamic_tables/PhaseDiagrams/R134a.pdf

I also found this example:
http://www.learnthermo.com/examples/ch05/p-5c-3.php

In EQN 4, the example applied the equation of state for ideal gas, so I suppose it is treating the gas as an ideal gas.
But when I try to calculate the enthalpy using H = (3 or 5 or 7)nRT/2 + nRT, the values mismatch the value of H1 = 87.41 kJ/kg and H2 = 239.78 kJ/kg in the example, even after converting kJ/mol into kJ/kg using the provided molar mass of 29g/mole...

Please help me on this, this issue has been troubling me for long, thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
The Enthalpy graph I found:
This graph is for water liquid/vapor. Clearly not an ideal gas! :smile:
I also found this example:
How do your answers for H compare to the values given in http://www.wiley.com/college/moran/CL_0471465704_S/user/tables/TABLE5S/table5sframe.html" table for air? (Note that everything in the table is in Kelvin except for the first column!

Rizer said:
I know enthalpy

H = U + PV

H = U + nRT

H = 3nRT/2 + nRT ??

Thanks

For an ideal gas,

R = cp - cv

This is entirely consistent with writing

u = cvT

and

h = cpT

although you should be cautious to use these formulas only in the regime where the specific heats are constant. In the more general case, cv = du/dT and cp = dh/dT. If the specific heats are not constant, you have to integrate from some reference temperature.

The formula you wrote with cv=(3/2)R is only appropriate for monatomic ideal gases. As you point out, for diatomic ideal gases, the coefficient is 5/2 because of the extra degrees of freedom available at room temperature, although as the temperature rises above ~1E3 K for gases like O2 and N2, additional modes become unfrozen and cv/R rises. At some point the ideal gas model doesn't work all that well. I would point out that complex gases like R-134 aren't all that well-modeled by the ideal gas law.

BBB

Bill_K said:
This graph is for water liquid/vapor. Clearly not an ideal gas! :smile:

How do your answers for H compare to the values given in http://www.wiley.com/college/moran/CL_0471465704_S/user/tables/TABLE5S/table5sframe.html" table for air? (Note that everything in the table is in Kelvin except for the first column!

Thanks alot! Now I am clear about the concept.

I tried to calculate h using the table you provided, and the values matched well with the formula H = 5nRT/2 + nRT

bbbeard said:
For an ideal gas,

R = cp - cv

This is entirely consistent with writing

u = cvT

and

h = cpT

although you should...

Thanks for your detailed explanations, which furthers my understandings on this topic. And now I am sure that R-134a can't be modeled as an ideal gas.

1. What is enthalpy and how is it related to temperature?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that describes the total energy of a system. It is often represented by the symbol H. Enthalpy is directly related to temperature, as an increase in temperature leads to an increase in the enthalpy of a system.

2. How is enthalpy measured?

Enthalpy is measured in units of energy, such as Joules (J) or calories (cal). It can be measured experimentally using calorimetry, which involves measuring the heat exchange between a system and its surroundings.

3. What is the difference between enthalpy and internal energy?

Enthalpy and internal energy are both thermodynamic properties that describe the energy of a system. The main difference is that enthalpy includes the energy associated with the pressure and volume of the system, while internal energy does not. Enthalpy is often more useful in practical applications, such as in studying chemical reactions.

4. How does temperature affect enthalpy in a chemical reaction?

In a chemical reaction, the change in enthalpy (ΔH) is directly related to the temperature change (ΔT) through the equation ΔH = ΔT x Cp, where Cp is the heat capacity of the system. This means that as the temperature increases, the change in enthalpy also increases.

5. Can enthalpy and temperature be used to predict the direction of a spontaneous reaction?

Yes, the change in enthalpy and temperature can be used to predict the spontaneity of a reaction. If the change in enthalpy is negative and the change in temperature is positive, the reaction will be spontaneous. However, if the change in enthalpy is positive and the change in temperature is negative, the reaction will not be spontaneous.