Calculating Enthalpy Change for Ca and CaO Reactions

In summary, the calcium metal and calcium oxide reactions have different enthalpy changes. The calcium metal reaction has a negative enthalpy change while the calcium oxide reaction has a positive enthalpy change.
erik05
Hello. Could anyone help me out with a question I'm stuck on? Thanks in advance.

Calcium metal reacts with hydrochloric acid in a calorimeter and the enthalpy change is determined. Similarly, the enthalpy change for the reaction of calcium oxide with hydrochloric acid is determined. What is the enthalpy change for the following reaction:

[tex] Ca_{(s)}+ 1/2 O_{2} \longrightarrow CaO_{(s)} [/tex]

Evidence:
[tex] Ca_{(s)} + 2HCl_{(aq)} \longrightarrow CaCl_{2}_{(aq)} + H_{2}_{(g)} ,\triangle H_{r}=? [/tex]

[tex] CaO_{(s)} + 2HCl_{(aq)} \longrightarrow CaCl_{2}_{(aq)} + H_{2}O_{(l)} ,\triangle H_{r}=? [/tex]

Temperature Change Due to Reaction With 100 mL of 1.0 mol/L HCl

Reactant: Ca(s)
Mass(g) : 0.52
Initial Temp: 21.3 °C
Final Temp: 34.5 °C

Reactant: CaO(s)
Mass (g): 1.47
Initial Temp: 21.1 °C
Final Temp: 28.0 °C

So far I have:

for Ca:
[tex] nH= mc\triangle t [/tex]
[tex] H= \frac{mc\triangle t}{n} [/tex]
H= {(0.100 L)*(1.0 mol/1 L)*(0.03646 kg/1 mol)*(4.19 kJ/kg°C)*(34.5°C-21.3°C)} / { (0.52g)*(1 mol/40.08 g) } = - 15.54 kJ/mol

for CaO:
H= {(0.100 L)*(1.0 mol/1 L)*(0.03646 kg/1 mol)*(4.19 kJ/kg°C)*(28.0°C-21.1°C)} / { (1.47g)*(1 mol/56.08 g) } = -4.02 kJ/mol

Not too sure where to go from here but the answers are suppose to be -0.43 MJ,+ 0.11 MJ and -0.60 MJ,also I'm not too sure if that's the order the answers appear either.

Physics news on Phys.org
erik05 said:
Hello. Could anyone help me out with a question I'm stuck on? Thanks in advance.

Calcium metal reacts with hydrochloric acid in a calorimeter and the enthalpy change is determined. Similarly, the enthalpy change for the reaction of calcium oxide with hydrochloric acid is determined. What is the enthalpy change for the following reaction:

[tex] Ca_{(s)}+ 1/2 O_{2} \longrightarrow CaO_{(s)} [/tex]

Evidence:
[tex] Ca_{(s)} + 2HCl_{(aq)} \longrightarrow CaCl_{2}_{(aq)} + H_{2}_{(g)} ,\triangle H_{r}=? [/tex]

[tex] CaO_{(s)} + 2HCl_{(aq)} \longrightarrow CaCl_{2}_{(aq)} + H_{2}O_{(l)} ,\triangle H_{r}=? [/tex]

Temperature Change Due to Reaction With 100 mL of 1.0 mol/L HCl

Reactant: Ca(s)
Mass(g) : 0.52
Initial Temp: 21.3 °C
Final Temp: 34.5 °C

Reactant: CaO(s)
Mass (g): 1.47
Initial Temp: 21.1 °C
Final Temp: 28.0 °C

So far I have:

for Ca:
[tex] nH= mc\triangle t [/tex]
[tex] H= \frac{mc\triangle t}{n} [/tex]
H= {(0.100 L)*(1.0 mol/1 L)*(0.03646 kg/1 mol)*(4.19 kJ/kg°C)*(34.5°C-21.3°C)} / { (0.52g)*(1 mol/40.08 g) } = - 15.54 kJ/mol

for CaO:
H= {(0.100 L)*(1.0 mol/1 L)*(0.03646 kg/1 mol)*(4.19 kJ/kg°C)*(28.0°C-21.1°C)} / { (1.47g)*(1 mol/56.08 g) } = -4.02 kJ/mol

Not too sure where to go from here but the answers are suppose to be -0.43 MJ,+ 0.11 MJ and -0.60 MJ,also I'm not too sure if that's the order the answers appear either.
Your mistake in computing ΔH for the Ca & CaO reactions was in using HCl mass in the ΔH equations. The WATER mass in each reaction is required for the ΔH equations since it's primarily WATER that is being heated and is changing temperature.
For Ca:
ΔH = -{(100 mL)*(10(-3) kg/ml)*(4.19 kJ/kg°C)*(34.5°C - 21.3°C)/{(0.52 g)*(1 mol/40.08 g)} =
= (-426.3 kJ/mol)

For CaO:
ΔH = -{(100 mL)*(10(-3) kg/ml)*(4.19 kJ/kg°C)*(28.0°C - 21.1°C)}/{(1.47 g)*(1 mol/56.08 g) } =
= (-110.3 kJ/mol)

To determine ΔH for the subject reaction, we form its reaction equation by adding reaction equations with known ΔH (same entities on both sides of arrow cancel):

[tex] Ca_{(s)} \ + \ 2HCl_{(aq)} \ \longrightarrow \ CaCl_{2}_{(aq)} \ + \ H_{2}_{(g)} \ \ \ \ \color{red} \triangle H_{r}=(-426.3 \ kJ)=(-0.43 \ MJ) [/tex]

[tex] CaCl_{2}_{(aq)} \ + \ H_{2}O_{(l)} \ \longrightarrow \ CaO_{(s)} \ + \ 2HCl_{(aq)} \ \ \ \ \color{red} \triangle H_{r}=(+110.3 \ kJ)=(+0.11 \ MJ) [/tex]

[tex] H_{2}_{(g)} \ + \ (1/2) O_{2} \ \longrightarrow \ H_{2}O_{(l)} \ \ \ \ \color{red} \triangle H_{r}=(-286 \ kJ)=(-0.28 \ MJ) [/tex]

----------------------------------------------------------

[tex] Ca_{(s)} \ + \ (1/2) O_{2} \ \longrightarrow \ CaO_{(s)} \ \ \ \ \color{red} \triangle H_{r}=(-602 \ kJ)=(-0.60 \ MJ) [/tex]

~~

Last edited:
Ah, I understand now. Thank you!

1. What is the definition of enthalpy change?

Enthalpy change is the heat energy absorbed or released during a chemical reaction, typically measured in joules or kilojoules.

2. How do you calculate enthalpy change for a reaction?

The enthalpy change for a reaction can be calculated by taking the difference between the enthalpies of the products and the reactants. This can be determined using the enthalpy of formation values for each compound.

3. What is the enthalpy of formation for Ca and CaO?

The enthalpy of formation for Ca is 41.63 kJ/mol and for CaO is -635.09 kJ/mol. These values represent the heat released or absorbed when one mole of the compound is formed from its elements in their standard states at 25°C and 1 atm.

4. How can you determine if a reaction is endothermic or exothermic using enthalpy change?

If the enthalpy change for the reaction is positive, it is an endothermic reaction, meaning heat is absorbed. If the enthalpy change is negative, it is an exothermic reaction, meaning heat is released.

5. Can the enthalpy change be affected by the conditions of the reaction?

Yes, the enthalpy change can be affected by the temperature, pressure, and concentration of the reactants and products. This is because enthalpy is a state function, meaning it depends on the initial and final states of the system, not the path taken to get there.