Calculating Enthalpy ΔH of H2O at 101 kPa: Detailed Process & Equations

• Thread starter krootox217
  • Start date
  • Tags
    enthalpy
In summary: So, you would just need to add ΔHv(373) and ΔH(393,v) to get the correct ΔH.Yes. This is all correct. So, the ΔH you are looking for is ΔH=H(393,v) - H(373,l). This is the change in enthalpy between the initial state and the final state.But in the diagram, I need to draw in the three ΔH's like i did in the first attempt?Yes, you need to draw in the three ΔH's like that.
krootox217

Homework Statement

What is the enthalpy ΔH, when 1 mole of water is heated at 101 kPa from 353 K to 393 K? Outline the process in an H (T) diagram.
The following values are available:
Cp (H2O, l) = 75.0 J K-1 mol-1; ΔHvap = 47.3 kJ mol-1 at 373 K; Cp (H2O, g) = 35.4 J K-1 mol-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this:

hpBX1gV.png

Is this the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was unable to read what you wrote. The diagram looks OK qualitatively, but not quantitatively. The changes from 353 to 373 for the liquid and from 373 to 393 for the vapor are way too large. The first change is only 1500 J, and the second change is only 708 J. The enthalpy change for vaporization is shown correctly.

Chet

My writing is not the best, sorry

Ok, therefore I calculated it wrong.

For the first ΔH, do I have to calculate ΔH(373K)=ΔH(353K)+(Cp (H2O, l))*373K-(Cp (H2O, l))*353K?

And for the second ΔH, ΔH(393K)=ΔH(373K)+(Cp (H2O, g))*393K-(Cp (H2O, g))*373K?

krootox217 said:
My writing is not the best, sorry

Ok, therefore I calculated it wrong.

For the first ΔH, do I have to calculate ΔH(373K)=ΔH(353K)+(Cp (H2O, l))*373K-(Cp (H2O, l))*353K?

And for the second ΔH, ΔH(393K)=ΔH(373K)+(Cp (H2O, g))*393K-(Cp (H2O, g))*373K?
It goes like this:

H(373,l)=H(353,l)+Cp(H2O,l)*(373-353)

H(373,v)=H(373,l)+ΔHv(373)

H(393,v)=H(373,v)+Cp(H2O,v)*(393-373)Chet

Ok, now I'm a bit confused, because you don't use ΔH but H. And also which stage is which in the diagram?

So I start at 353K. Then the first ΔH is from the beginning to the point, where the temperature reaches 373K. This means until the point H(373,l)?

And then the water gets vaporized, which is ΔHv(373)?

And at the end, it goes from the end of ΔHv(373) to 393K, which means the ΔH goes from the end point of ΔHv(373) to H(393,v)?

krootox217 said:
Ok, now I'm a bit confused, because you don't use ΔH but H. And also which stage is which in the diagram?

So I start at 353K. Then the first ΔH is from the beginning to the point, where the temperature reaches 373K. This means until the point H(373,l)?

And then the water gets vaporized, which is ΔHv(373)?

And at the end, it goes from the end of ΔHv(373) to 393K, which means the ΔH goes from the end point of ΔHv(373) to H(393,v)?
Yes. This is all correct. So, the ΔH you are looking for is ΔH=H(393,v) - H(373,l). This is the change in enthalpy between the initial state and the final state.

Likes krootox217
But in the diagram, I need to draw in the three ΔH's like i did in the first attempt?

krootox217 said:
But in the diagram, I need to draw in the three ΔH's like i did in the first attempt?
If that's what they're asking for. In your diagram, you took as a basis H(353,l) = 0 (which is perfectly acceptable).

Likes krootox217

1. What is Enthalpy (ΔH) of H2O?

Enthalpy (ΔH) of H2O is an important thermodynamic property that measures the amount of heat released or absorbed when one mole of water undergoes a chemical reaction or phase change at constant pressure.

2. What is the significance of Enthalpy (ΔH) of H2O?

The Enthalpy (ΔH) of H2O is significant because it allows us to quantify the amount of energy involved in chemical reactions or phase changes involving water. It also helps in predicting the direction of a reaction or whether a reaction is endothermic or exothermic.

3. How is Enthalpy (ΔH) of H2O measured?

The Enthalpy (ΔH) of H2O can be measured experimentally using calorimetry, where the heat released or absorbed during a reaction or phase change is measured. It can also be calculated using Hess's Law, which states that the total enthalpy change for a reaction is independent of the pathway taken.

4. What factors affect the Enthalpy (ΔH) of H2O?

The Enthalpy (ΔH) of H2O is affected by temperature, pressure, and the state of water (solid, liquid, or gas). It is also influenced by the specific heat capacity, or the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of water by 1 degree Celsius.

5. How is Enthalpy (ΔH) of H2O used in everyday life?

The Enthalpy (ΔH) of H2O is used in various industries, such as in power plants where steam turbines convert the energy of heated water into electricity. It is also used in the food industry for cooking and preserving food, as well as in climate control systems for heating and cooling buildings.